Thread: js help

Thanks

Question js help

Ok I downloaded a script from DD (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...mlprogress.htm changed it so that at the end of the 5 seconds it would just forward the user to the clans forums and it WORKS! But I have a problem, with how it works. It loads the forums in the frame of the clan page

this is what I have
    Code:
    var action=function()
    {
    window.open="www.theforums.com";
    }
    how do I get it to load the page outside the frames? I don't wanna use "window.open" because of pop-up blockers and such I just want it to forward the user. Any Help would be appreciated
    Last edited by paynerd; 01-03-2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: edited code

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Code:
    var action=function()
    {
    parent.location = "http://www.theforums.com/";
    }
    By the by, window.open() is a function, not a variable (although the boundaries are a little blurred in Javascript; the above code won't [I think] produce an error, but neither will it produce the effect desired). You should call it with window.open("url"), not window.open = url.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

WOO HOO!!! Thank You Twey it worked great in both IE6 and Firefox (test other later)
    and it works exactly the way I wanted it to.

Thank you So much
    Paynerd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    By the by, window.open() is a function, not a variable [...]
    It's both. All variables, functions declarations, and formal arguments are properties of some object so they can be assigned to just like properties of a user-defined object[1]. For example:

Code:
    function myFunction() {}

alert(typeof myFunction);  /* function */

myFunction = 'value';

alert(typeof myFunction);  /* string */
    The open property is just a reference to a host function. Some third-party pop-up blockers operate by assigning their own function to that same property, replacing its functionality.

Mike

[1] There are exceptions. Some built-in properties are read-only where an assignment will be ignored, and host objects are free to act however they like (IE is known to throw exceptions when assigning to some host objects).