Thread: Am I using a 64 bit processor?

Thanks

Default Am I using a 64 bit processor?

I use the following:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5400+

Does this mean I have a 64 bit processor? For some reason I was sure I was using a 32 bit processor.

Is there a way to discover what the ram potential of my motherboard is?
    Last edited by james438; 05-17-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 3,161 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm sure it's similar under other Windows OS's. In Win 7:

START Menu > Control Panel > System and Security > System

That will give you all the information I think you're looking for.

Alternatively, still under Win 7 (others should be similar), from the START menu, click on Help, then type into the search box:

about computer

Click the search icon. Then click on:

View your computer information
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Yep, I saw that tip. I should have mentioned that I use Windows XP SP3. The Windows website says that there is no 64 bit version of Windows XP SP3, so it must be a 32 bit system by default. Even so, I am wondering if the processor I am using means I am 64 bit compatible.

No I am not totally sure about the difference between 64 and 32 bit processors. I do see that there are 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and Opera. I am probably going to get Windows 7 in a year when Microsoft support for Windows XP ends April 8, 2014.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 3,161 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah. Without a 64 bit OS like Win 7, you cannot take full advantage of your 64 bit processor. It might enable some advanced features in some programs or encryption schemes. Probably not though. And you cannot run 64 bit versions of software unless you update your OS to a 64 bit OS.

You may need more than just a 64 bit processor in order to update the OS. You do need that, but there are other hardware requirements/recommendations involved.

There is a MS Update Advisor online that will scan your system for you to see if it has what it needs to update.

Also, rereading your original post, I don't think you can get information about how much memory can be installed. You would need to check the specs on the motherboard. These can usually be found online if you know its make and model. And often, if you look through the booklets that came with the computer or motherboard, you will have a manual that lists the specs.

Generally there are memory slots. The number of these determines how many modules you can put in. The modules themselves must be compatible with the slots (there are different types), and usually come in two or more meg or multiples of megs, like gig ratings. Once you fill all your slots with all of the top capacity modules, that's it unless you can install more slots. This may or may not be possible depending upon a number of factors.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I downloaded and ran the Windows 7 update advisor program from microsoft and it says that I have all of the necessary specs to run the 64 bit version of Windows 7, so I guess that is a pretty good indication I have a 64 bit processor and am otherwise good to go.

At the time I had my computer built Vista was new and from what I had seen I was very underwhelmed, so I asked for Windows XP SP3 to be installed with it. Now that I am bit more knowledgeable I will install the software myself. It may have been a free service at the time. Windows 7 doesn't sound too bad though.

Thanks for your explanation. In about a year I hope to upgrade to Windows 7.