Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get Pausing RSS scroller to work.

Thanks

Well on local machine its displaying: "I give up trying to fetch the RSS feed" but on both versions of the demo the cache is being filled(two files), I've confirmed it again this morning.

As for running from my webspace only the old version of the demo begins caching anything(but as I said the files are pretty much empty). I may have to visit their support forum and ask them to take a look at whats wrong for me for future reference.

I will concentrate on getting it running from local machine since we know its atleast getting the cache files, its just not doing anything with them.

Thanks

Ok I'm back on this task after taking a few days off, going to be concentrating on using Uniform Server to get this running since I know it was caching with that.

I have since located the PHP error log with Uniform Server but I have no idea if the information is useful enough to locate the problem.

The original demo throws out these errors in the log:
    Code:
    PHP Notice:  Undefined index: lastBuildDate in C:\\UniServer\\www\\lastrss\\lastRSS.php on line 159, referer: http://localhost/demo.htm

[Tue May 08 18:33:53.438600 2012] [:error] [pid 3144:tid 1068] [client ::1:49978] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant link - assumed 'link' in C:\\UniServer\\www\\lastrss\\scrollerbridge.php on line 72, referer: http://localhost/demo.htm

[Tue May 08 18:33:53.439600 2012] [:error] [pid 3144:tid 1068] [client ::1:49978] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' in C:\\UniServer\\www\\lastrss\\scrollerbridge.php on line 72, referer: http://localhost/demo.htm
    The simplepie version throws out these errors:

Code:
    [Sat May 05 09:51:58.284800 2012] [:error] [pid 4524:tid 1072] [client ::1:49219] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method SimplePie_Misc::change_encoding() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\\UniServer\\www\\rssps\\simplepie\\simplepie.inc on line 5126, referer: http://localhost/rssps/demo.htm

[Sat May 05 09:51:58.284800 2012] [:error] [pid 4524:tid 1072] [client ::1:49219] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method SimplePie_Misc::encoding() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\\UniServer\\www\\rssps\\simplepie\\simplepie.inc on line 2790, referer: http://localhost/rssps/demo.htm

[Sat May 05 09:51:58.284800 2012] [:error] [pid 4524:tid 1072] [client ::1:49219] PHP Strict Standards:  Non-static method SimplePie_Misc::encoding() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\\UniServer\\www\\rssps\\simplepie\\simplepie.inc on line 2791, referer: http://localhost/rssps/demo.htm
    Is this specifically telling me whats wrong? Can it be fixed?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

Those are version and/or setting specific notices and warnings in PHP.

I'm familiar with the first set, the undefined constant notices. Those literally mean that those words on those lines should be quoted.

The second set of strict errors I'm not familiar with. Perhaps someone in the PHP forum would be. I'm pretty sure they can be rewritten to be in compliance with strict standards. However, I see in other similar reports that turning off strict error reporting in php.ini can fix it.

See responses to:

http://forum.status.net/discussion/1...is-in-the-home

for more info. Particularly the observation and suggestion by pmolendijk in that thread. That should take care of both sets of problems.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

Metalartin (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Ah I give up, I tried the suggestion there adding it to all modes too.

Just spent 20mins getting gajax script to work and its up and running now, I have one question though, although its no fault of the script.

Twitter RSS Feed

You may notice that the title has included the description in it(thats just a problem with twitter since they dont officially support it rss feeds I think)which totally messes up the format if you wanted to have both a title and a description. Are there any options to set the title length or anything like that so it won't display the description in it? That would solve it I think.

edit: Found the answer in another thread by the looks of it > gAjax RSS Ticker - title too long in IE7, thanks for your help on all of the above anyway John.

Thanks

I realise this is for another script but didnt think it was worth creating a new thread for.

The only thing I want to do is set the description length but for some reason it seems to max out at 130 characters.

Code:
    		var itemtitle="<a href=\"" + feedslice[i].link + "\" target=\"" + linktarget + "\" class=\"titlefield\">" + feedslice[i].title.substring(0, 11) + "</a>"
    		var itemlabel=/label/i.test(showoptions)? '<span class="labelfield">['+feedslice[i].ddlabel+']</span>' : " "
    		var itemdate=gfeedfetcher._formatdate(feedslice[i].publishedDate, showoptions)
    		var itemdescription=/description/i.test(showoptions)? "<br />"+feedslice[i].content.substring(11, 200) : /snippet/i.test(showoptions)? "<br />"+feedslice[i].contentSnippet.substring(11, 200)  : ""
    		rssoutput+=itemcontainer + itemtitle + " " + itemlabel + " " + itemdate + "\n" + itemdescription + itemcontainer.replace("<", "</") + "\n\n"
    	}
    	rssoutput+=(itemcontainer=="<li>")? "</ul>\n" : ""
    	return rssoutput
    }
    Its not a big problem but theres free space(about 1 and a half lines) in the container so I might aswell use it if possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

The way it's set now, if that's the code that's doing it, this line:

Code:
    var itemdescription=/description/i.test(showoptions)? "<br />"+feedslice[i].content.substring(11, 200) : /snippet/i.test(showoptions)? "<br />"+feedslice[i].contentSnippet.substring(11, 200)  : ""
    controls that, it's set to 189 characters. You can increase it by increasing the number 200 (two places). Or if you want the entire balance of content/contentSnippet, remove the 200 and it's preceding comma (also two places). The 11 should remain as those 11 chars have presumably already been used for the title.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

Metalartin (05-09-2012)

Thanks

Sorry thats the value I wanted(already tried to increase that value to 200, it wasn't set before), Ive already got the title limited to 11 chars I was hoping to increase the description length but it wont reach 200 for some reason(I counted 125 from a copy and paste).

I was wondering if there is another setting elsewhere thats limiting it(don't think its my margins or padding, tried to check that and couldnt find anything that altered it). It doesn't really matter if not, I could always resize the container so the free space isnt showing, as a last resort.
    Last edited by Metalartin; 05-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.