Thread: Dreamweaver - yes or no?

Thanks

Default Dreamweaver - yes or no?

I'm seriously considering getting dreamweaver.. but I'm not at all familiar with the possibilities in this program yet..

I have the trial right now.. but use it mostely like I would use notepad.. writing the codes...just with the nice feature, that it's easier to se it visually allso.

How do you use dreamweaver? What are the pros and cons?

☼ Maiken

Thanks

DW is a bad-habit forming program that can easily be misused and end up with bad (machine-written) code. However, if you use it wisely (always keep an eye on the code view, and maybe just use the 'design view' as a preview, rather than an interface for editing), it's reasonable. It also has built in FTP which is nice. But it's expensive.

I'd suggest instead using a free text editor. Notepad is really not a good option because it's just so simple.

Two great features:
    1. FTP included, so you can edit files on your website directly in the program.
    2. Code highlighting, like in DW, so you can easily skim the code (rather than just seeing hundreds of lines of black and white text).

There are a few options for this on Windows. On a Mac, my personal favorite is TextWrangler (free).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

Mejse78 (04-24-2012)

Thanks

I like the fact, that I can just turn the designview on and off - I work in codeview.
    - and sometimes splitview..

But don't know all the features yet.. so don't quite know if it's worth it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I tried DW when I first started in web stuff. Obviously, it's different now, but the basic problem is the same: it prevents you from working effectively with the code (especially if you're considering working with more than basic javascript/ajax or php - no webserver in the world runs php like DW does); and, it prevents you from effectively reviewing your work (its "display mode" is not always accurate - it certainly doesn't give any clue to browser inconsistencies).

These two problems aren't limited to DW. They're inherent in every WYSIWYG editor - Frontpage, Expression, whatever.

The best way to code websites is with a plain text editor.
    The best way to view/develop websites is directly in the various browsers.
    If you're using server-side code (PHP, etc.), install Apache.

Thanks

Default great editing tool

I have access to Dreamweaver in open lab so cost is not a question for me. All agree, work in CODE or SPLIT view so you have control. Dreamweaver does NOT make you do bad things. It is a great timesaver and typo preventer (hit space bar and drop-down displays possible entries, double-click entry and your cursor is positioned and further possible entries are displayed. My favorite, start typing closing tag </ and Dreamweaver completes it (like </div>)-- which eliminates having to shift > and, best of all, shows any tag that needs closing. (I somehow miss one or two and this catches my error.)

There are all sorts of such aides tha make life a smidgen easier. It is super FTP program.
    Last edited by auntnini; 04-24-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by auntnini View Post
    Dreamweaver does NOT make you do bad things.
    no program makes you do anything. My point was (as Daniel also said), WYSIWYG editors make it very easy to do bad things, and don't always give you good indications when you do. Many WYSIWYG editors also try to make certain corrections for you, which can cause very-difficult-to-track-and-even-harder-to-solve errors (in fact, that's why I abandoned FrontPage).

Both on this forum and on others I visit, WYSIWYG editors are common causes of problems. "Works in FrontPage, but broken on live site!!!" Often, solutions are simple, but obscured by the fact that the problem doesn't show up until the code is put into a "real-life" situation.

Your finished website will never run on Dreamweaver; likewise, no one will ever visit it on Dreamweaver. Why develop on an environment that will never see any real use? If your website will be hosted on Apache/Linux (very likely), then develop on Apache/Linux (or, at least, on Apache). If your website will be viewed in Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer (very likely), then develop on Fx/Chrome/IE.

-------------------------------

For features like syntax highlighting, error flagging, file/project management, and code completion (all very nice things), your choices are not limited to WYSIWYG programs. Many plain text editors are optimized for coding. Look into FREE programs like Notepad++, TextWrangler, Gedit*, Kate, or Komodo.*

* available cross-platform (Windows, Mac, and Linux)

I mostly use Notepad++ (on Windows) and Kate (on Linux), but I've started using Komodo recently -- and I have to say, it's incredible. (To prevent confusion, Komodo Edit is free; Komodo IDE requires a paid license.) I pointed it at my local PHP installation, and it shows not only syntax errors, but also parse errors, lists declared variables, shows a function reference (even for my _own_ functions when I use phpdoc block comments), and more.

Thanks

I use DW so that I can see what lines the error are and to see the preview the design if I apply it on my website and that is all.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evelynkwoodbury54 View Post
    I use DW so that I can see what lines the error are and to see the preview the design if I apply it on my website and that is all.
    See my points above :-)

Thanks

If you have a budget to allocate for webmaster software, by all means get it! It's specially useful for beginner up to intermediate level web designer. I've never experience "bad habit forming" coding from it. It probably gave me a better base to learn html.

It's not essential to have, there are other less expensive and some free html software out there. If buying it will deplete your savings, forget it. Listen to the other guys here and use note pad or even notepad ++

Personally, I don't use dw much anymore since I do wp site most of the time. Only when I do minisites.
    Last edited by ddadmin; 05-02-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for all your answers

I've been reading, that Wordpress is very popular.. and I might try it out.
    But I think, that I will take a year subscription to DW - because I like working in it so far.