Thread: Best tutorials for setting up an admin template?

Thanks

Cool Best tutorials for setting up an admin template?

Hey I could use a sleek admin template from themeforest on my site... it's a business site where I will be setting up sites for small businesses and I want to have a backend for the members to see their upcoming payments and SEO rankings with the charts with an inboxing system... I am pretty sure the template has about 75% of the hard work out of the way but it will still take work to get 100% function able..

The problem is I can't find good resources on the web to help me setup one of these templates.. can anyone set me off in the right direction?

Thanks

Well an admin/login system for your clients would involve:

- Databases for storing info - users, small website info, etc. - PHP and MySql databases work well together, so give that a shot
    - be able to store/retrieve data (tizag PHP/MySql tutorials are good)
    - use PHP sessions or cookies, or both, to store user logins
    - display data with PHP

Generally these things are pretty simple. If you're really interested in doing it, then search up these things individually with Google. It shouldn't be too hard to find a decent tutorial somewhere.
    - Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburt View Post
    Well an admin/login system for your clients would involve:

- Databases for storing info - users, small website info, etc. - PHP and MySql databases work well together, so give that a shot
    - be able to store/retrieve data (tizag PHP/MySql tutorials are good)
    - use PHP sessions or cookies, or both, to store user logins
    - display data with PHP

Generally these things are pretty simple. If you're really interested in doing it, then search up these things individually with Google. It shouldn't be too hard to find a decent tutorial somewhere.
    Ok thanks... Even if I did look these up and learned them I think I would still have a hard time implementing them into the files... It's easy to setup a database and add the info to a script but in this case would I have to learn how to create my own configuration script to allow it to connect to the database? Would I need to add a lot of my own scripting?

Its like finding the pieces to the puzzle but I fear I wont be able to put it together, I wish there was a tutorial that came with the template...

Thanks

Wait a minute... are you actually getting a template from "themeforest", or are you trying to make your own to be *similar to "themeforest"?

Sorry, I may have this confused.
    - Mike

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mburt View Post
    Wait a minute... are you actually getting a template from "themeforest", or are you trying to make your own to be *similar to "themeforest"?

Sorry, I may have this confused.
    Not a problem.. I have purchased a template.. after some digging I came across this tut http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ru...-active-admin/ So far I have installed ruby on rails and I am using Aptana as a terminal editor. I am now following the steps on the tut... I hope I am going in the right direction by using active admin and ruby on rails If this is the wrong way to go then shoot but it looks like it will help me with some kind of admin solution... what are your thoughts?