Thread: mouseover tabs menu and ipad/tablets help?

Thanks

Question mouseover tabs menu and ipad/tablets help?

1) Script Title: mouseover tabs menu

2) Script URL (on DD):
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...seovertabs.htm

3) Describe problem:
    This is a great, clean, script for doing tabbed menus, but it doesn't work correctly with ipad/iphone (and possibly other tablets) due to the hover/click. On the ipad, when I select a menu and the submenu appears underneath, after a few seconds, it vanishes, even though I haven't selected any submenu item. It appears the page reloads and thus resets the menu.
    I have tried changing the BOOL to false for the submenu disappearing. Didn't help on the ipad. I've also tried changing the milliseconds to disappear to bigger numbers, but with no luck.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks

Default I may have fixed it now

Works now on ipad2. Will check other mobile browsers. Maybe this will help someone else.

What had happened was I had set up some of the top level tabs to be simple ahref="" rel="gotsubmenu" because I wanted the top level tab to do nothing except reveal the submenu of choices. Unfortunately, when you click on a link with no valid address, blank in this case, it was being interpreted somewhere as an error and reloading my home page, resetting the menu, and making the submenu choices vanish. The lack of a hover event made it so that clicking the top level menu to make the sub appear caused the top level to activate like a link, rather than a hover to reveal the sub.

I fixed it by doing two things. First, making sure the BOOL for the submenu disappearing was set to False.
    Second, in the top level tab HTML, I removed the href from the <li> where I only needed the submenu to show.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    <div id="mytabsmenu" class="tabsmenuclass">
    <ul>
    <li><a rel="gotsubmenu[selected]">JavaScript Kit</a></li>
    <li><a rel="gotsubmenu">CSS Drive</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://www.codingforums.com">No Sub Menu</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    -----------------------------------------------------
    It was an easy fix when you think about it, but maybe it will help someone else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decafdrinker View Post
    1) Script Title: mouseover tabs menu

2) Script URL (on DD):
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...seovertabs.htm

3) Describe problem:
    This is a great, clean, script for doing tabbed menus, but it doesn't work correctly with ipad/iphone (and possibly other android tablets) due to the hover/click. On the ipad, when I select a menu and the submenu appears underneath, after a few seconds, it vanishes, even though I haven't selected any submenu item. It appears the page reloads and thus resets the menu.
    I have tried changing the BOOL to false for the submenu disappearing. Didn't help on the ipad. I've also tried changing the milliseconds to disappear to bigger numbers, but with no luck.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    i have this problem also..looking for help.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

Please start a new thread for your question. You may refer back to this one if you like.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ion View Post
    i have this problem also..looking for help.
    If you "have this problem also," did you try reading decafdrinker's second post (in which they describe their solution)?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Just FYI, I've just updated Mouseover Tabs Menu for mobile browsers, so the main tabs respond to the click event in those browsers (versus the default mouseover, which doesn't exist).
    DD Admin