Thread: Set Cron on remote server without its cpanel details.

Thanks

Default Set Cron on remote server without its cpanel details.

I wanted to run my PHP script on remote server with having interval of 24 hours. so i wanted to set my cron on remote server. But i am not having its cpanel details.
    Is it possible to set my cron without knowing its cpanel details..?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

it is your server (your web hosting account)?
    Contact your hosting company if you need to recover your cPanel username/password.

Thanks

Hey Adrian thanks to respond.
    But thats what i dont want to take from my client. I wanted to make my client secure about their Cpanel. Is it possible to set with out username and Password? Or anyother way to run my cron. on their server.??

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It would make me feel a lot less secure if my developer uploaded stuff without my password.

Your client could create a second (throwaway) login for you, or simply change their password after you're done.

Thanks

I completely agree with traq on this one. It goes against security in every way.

What I'd suggest, if you really do need this, is to create some sort of remote management system for cron jobs on the server accessible via a webpage. Do this with a serverside language like PHP. No, it won't be easy. But that's really your only option if you can't log into the hosting account.

I like traq's idea of a throwaway account. And if your client doesn't want you to have access, that's really not your problem-- explain that it's their choice, but you can't manage the server without having access.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    What I'd suggest, if you really do need this, is to create some sort of remote management system for cron jobs on the server accessible via a webpage.
    I did something similar for a client once, for a clean-up/reporting script. It's triggered via cron once a week, but she can (assuming she's logged in, of course) simply point her browser at the script to trigger it manually if she ever has the need.

Thanks

Something I've done (as a test, and it seems to work somewhat) is have a single neverending cron job (with a few minutes between iterations at the very least-- never running all the time). Then that file can act as a controller (eg, checking the database for new commands), so that you don't have to worry about the "cron" part, just whatever operations you need.
    But, two warnings:
    1. That's not very easy to set up.
    2. It's very risky if you end up crashing the server or putting it into an endless loop, so do this with extreme caution.

If you don't have any access to the server to fix it, I'm not sure I'd still recommend that.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum