Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Jim's DHTML Menu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Jim's DHTML Menu

    1) Script Title: Jim's DHTML Menu v5.7

    2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm

    3) Describe problem: I put together a page with three layers of menus. After playing around with the script parameters, I finally got it to layout the way I wanted. My problem is that it displays differently in different browsers despite the fact that it says it's compatible with them. I suspect the problem is in the build scripts. Does anyone know if there are newer versions of these scripts?

    Thanks,
    Last edited by Jim Weinberg; 02-12-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Problem resolved

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE PA USA
    Posts
    28,952
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Don't forget browser.js (also in the includes folder). Here are some updated build files and an updated browser.js file I have lying around here. Hopefully they'll take care of things for you:

    Attachment 4338

    Keep a backup of the old ones, and replace them with the files in the attached archive. Keep the original blank.gif and REMINDER.txt files as they haven't changes and are not included in the attached archive.

    BTW, the menu won't show up at all in IE 9 without these newer files.

    The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.

    If you want more help, please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

    Oh, and if you have a horizontal menu, add this to the head of the page:

    Code:
    <!--[if IE 8]>
    <style type="text/css">
    font {
    	vertical-align: top;
    }
    </style>
    <![endif]-->
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-11-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: add - Oh, and if you . . .
    - John
    ________________________

    Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    John.

    I appreciate your providing me with the files. Unfortunately, they didn't solve the problem. I checked and the date stamps for the new files are the same as the ones I had.

    I don't have access to a server right now, but I'd be happy to upload the files I'm using if that would help. I really like this tool, but it has to work cross browser or it's no good to me.

    Thanks again,
    Jim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE PA USA
    Posts
    28,952
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Perhaps only the browser.js file was updated, I know it was. I also added a conditional style to my last post. Did you see that? I think you responded after I added it. It helps in IE 8.

    Forgive me for asking but - What do you want a menu for if you have no access to a server?

    Anyways, I don't think you're going to get it to layout exactly in all browsers. If there are still significant problems, consider a more recent menu or upload the files.
    - John
    ________________________

    Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    John.

    My bad. There was an updated browser.js in the files you sent. I was looking at the build files. As for the server, I will have access to one when (if) I publish this puppy. I've attached the two files I'm working with (all the others are unchanged.

    It lays out fine in NS9 and is close in IE8. But foxfire 3 is way off and safari is just crap.

    From what you said, though, I don't know if it's worth your time to try to fix it.

    I have been playing with another approach, which I can't get to work quite right either. It involves putting the menus in .js files. But, again, I can't seem to get them to layout quite right.

    Anyway, thanks again for your help.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Found an alternate method. Imbedded the servicesmenu call in a <div> and used a modified version of showhide.js I found on javascriptsource.com.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE PA USA
    Posts
    28,952
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    That's good because I was playing around with your demo and found a solution for Safari and Chrome with it, but IE was being stubborn. My solutions for it, which worked on the demo were not entirely effective on your version of the Jim's Menu, and after I tried a number of other things, I still couldn't find a solution for the various IE versions. IE 9 was relatively easy, 8 and 7 - I never got them to look good.

    Anyways, glad you found something that works for you!
    - John
    ________________________

    Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •