Thread: Jquery Advantages

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Jquery Advantages

Hello everyone,
    I've never bothered to use jquery and I was just wondering, does it have any significant advantages over javascript???

Keyboard1333
    Last edited by keyboard; 02-03-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks

It's a bunch of predefined functions/commands, etc., and most (all?) are designed to work cross-browser. So it's basically a list of shortcuts. It's never required, because it's just based in regular JS itself, but it can make things faster, although the tradeoff is requiring the jquery library itself.
    The only other downside is that it can be too easy (lazy?) so some designers never learn to use 'real' Javascript.

But basically you don't need to bother with it unless you want shortcuts or predefined routines. You also might need it if you want to use scripts that use it, of course.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks Djr33

Thanks

No problem. And I don't mean to sound discouraging about it-- lots of people use it, but it's just not actually required. So if having shortcuts like that sounds useful, then it's a good idea. It also has some functions not included in regular JS but those are just combinations of existing functions (sometimes in useful ways).

And the point I really wanted to add is that jQuery isn't the only option-- there are at least a handful of other Javascript libraries out there, such as script.aculo.us, prototype and moo tools. jQuery is probably the most popular though. One bad idea would be mixing two so that you have to load two libraries for every page on your site. (And sometimes they can conflict on a single page.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

jQuery is a great tool I`ve found a couple of articles on this topic, hope they will help you:
    http://altabel.wordpress.com/2013/02...is-so-popular/
    http://www.jscripters.com/jquery-dis...nd-advantages/
    rezstream.com/blog/the-benefits-of-using-jquery
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 03-29-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Format

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John Breed For This Useful Post:

jscheuer1 (03-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Those are some great links as to why jQuery is so good. One thing I'm not sure was mentioned is that it can play nice with other script libraries if need be. My favorite one, and this is mentioned by all familiar with jQuery, is that it allows you to write so much more script with much less actual code.

I would also add that due to its widespread use, any serious javascript coder should learn it, if for no other reason than to understand other scripts written in it. That's how I started, and now I'm hooked. It has also made me a better coder in ordinary javascript because over time I've gotten a sense of what it does. So if I'm using regular javascript, I can often know what jQuery would really help in a certain area and write it in regular javascript tailored to that script. I've found the manipulation of the DOM, creating, adding, removing, moving elements particularly helpful, both in how easy it is using jQuery, and in how that has expanded my knowledge of what can be done in that area, and more of what the dynamics are when using regular javascript.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate