Advanced Search

Thread: Identifying Ipod or Ipad

Thanks

Question Identifying Ipod or Ipad

Is there a script available that I can put on a website to identify if it is being viewed on either Ipod or Ipad and if so immediately move to different page ?
    Any help would be appreciated - I know you can identify Mac or PC but that idea didn't seem to work and Ipods/Ipads don't like Flash very much.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by SteveHeavy; 02-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 3,094 Posts
    Blog Entries

You are better off using just one page and serving your content in a way that any browser can render it. If you have Flash for instance, it's not the Flash you want the user to see, rather a video or a movie, perhaps you just want them to hear a sound. There are scripts for that. They will serve - say video, using the HTML 5 video tag to browsers like iPhone, while using Flash to show it to browsers like IE 7.

One such script is jPlayer:

http://www.jplayer.org/

But if you must detect iPhone/Pad/Pod, the browsers used by those devices all have userAgent strings that can be detected:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    if (/iphone|ipod|ipad/i.test(navigator.userAgent)) {
    	location.replace('someother.htm');
    }
    </script>
    That code in the head of the page should take the iDevice user to a separate page, in this case - someother.htm
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks John

Thats great