Thread: looking for a really simple login solution

Thanks

Default looking for a really simple login solution

Hi,

I'm not actually sure where to begin with this or what form it should take.

I'm just looking for a really simple login solution.

1. I will be providing my users with a customer ID. So, they don't even create a username. I'll just give them an ID like d8a798-001.

2. I will create their customer page. It's not a dynamic page. It's just simply a page that has what service of mine they're using, when their next payment is due and stuff like that. I simply edit that page and upload it to the server.

3. On each page of my site is just a simple login form with one field for the customer ID and the login button. So they just simply enter their customer ID into that form and hit 'login' and it takes them to their page.

So basically I just need the customer ID to match up with the customer page in some way (but not visible to the public), and then when someone enters their customer ID, it will take them to their customer page.

It's sort of so simple that I don't know where to begin I'm finding lots of stuff about PHP and databases and validation and the usual login solutions, but can't find something along these lines. I don't really mind what form it takes, I'm just looking for a simple solution for the above. Would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you will need a separate page for each customer anyway. If so and you have PHP, just make them each a page with this on it (just use a different id for each customer - you can even have their name in the title):

PHP Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <?php 

// Define the customer id 
    $password "d8a798-001"

if (!isset(
    $_POST['txtPassword']) || $_POST['txtPassword'] != $password) { 

?> 
    <title>Login for Cutomer Name</title>
    <h1>Login</h1> 

<form name="form" method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>"> 

<p><label for="txtpassword">Customer ID:</label> 
        <br /><input type="password" title="Enter your ID" name="txtPassword" /></p> 

<p><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Login" /></p> 

</form> 

<?php 

else { 

?>

The rest of the 'real' head and the body of the page go here

<?php ?>
    </body></html>
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 02-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

waterprism (02-01-2012)

Thanks

Hi, John. Thanks so much. That looks really good. It might be just the ticket. I will try that out soon. Thanks a lot for your time on this.