Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sopa / pipa

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Sopa / pipa

Hey guys, drop by one of these sites TODAY, January 18, 2012.
    Take a few moments to oppose censorship on the internet.

google
    wikipedia
    php.net

there's many others. feel free to list them here.

Last edited by Snookerman; 01-18-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixed typo in title (or maybe I was censoring, who knows)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to traq For This Useful Post:

djr33 (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snookerman For This Useful Post:

traq (01-19-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
    http://bibliotik.org/ (awesome design)
    indeed!

thanks for the extras!

Thanks

Now on my site, link to Google's Petition:
    http://daba.medianewsonline.com/index.html
    Daba! The Fantage-like website
    Virtual World in progress.
    Out of pure HTML, Javascript, and CSS. Oh, and poorly done Paint images.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here is a lot more info about the participation http://sopastrike.com/
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks
    Blog Entries

IMAGE:
    http://fdcdn.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SOPA.jpg

Source: http://frugaldad.com/hosting/

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: That image was too long to let the discussion flow well, so I made it into a link instead.]
    Last edited by djr33; 02-01-2012 at 02:58 AM.
    Eddy Proca

Thanks

Wow, that's a lot to read. But interesting.
    I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen next. With the Megaupload arrests/indictment/etc., and Anonymous's protests/attacks following that, it's clear this isn't really over-- the vote may be postponed, but something's going to happen next, and it's unclear how that will work.

In my opinion, the world has moved beyond traditional media-- TV on a schedule, movies in theaters, etc. This has been by force (albeit illegally), but I don't see why it would stop now. Maybe something like SOPA will kill piracy (highly unlikely), but even so I really doubt that the media industries will ever be the same-- those people downloading music/TV shows/programs/movies aren't going to turn around and magically start paying for things. In fact, I've seen many arguments that suggest that free (pirated) content actually supports sales-- missing an episode of a TV show encourages catching up and then watching the next week, or listening to music for free increases sales of the same song. While that may or may not be true, I think the ban of such activity might seriously negatively impact the industry.

The real question at this point is how these industries should be adapting. Pandora, Netflix, Hulu and other companies (all of which are legal, not to mention the illegal ones) are on the right path (and perhaps shaping that path) to keep up with the 21st century. The problem is that without the outdated sources of income, the industries won't be able to support themselves. So, the question is, again, how can these industries adapt? Or can they adapt at all? Maybe this will be the end of media as we know it and instead the industry will turn into lots of independent productions of various things-- open source software, indie music, independent films and webseries instead of TV.

On a more legal note, it's very interesting to think about all of this. How can bits be copyrighted? Of course copyright should exist to "protect intellectual property", but there's also a sense in which such things really can't be protected. What exactly is the "thing" that is being projected? It isn't a specific set of binary data-- various formats and codecs change that. Just making a WAV file into an MP3 doesn't make it copyright-free. Similarly, now that information can be shared so easily, there really is nothing being "taken" (eg, stolen), just lots of things being copied (also "stolen").
    A really interesting situation is something like a torrent, where only part of the file is being copied at any one time. And those parts don't, in themselves, necessarily add up to usable content. So when is the actual "crime" taking place?

From everything I have seen, a lot of those very technical questions haven't been answered because the laws still refer to older technology. I'm not sure what "should" happen, or what will, but I'm sure something will, and it's interesting to watch.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen next.
    enter HR 1981 : )

Thanks

That's only the next proposed legislation. There's also the response from the public. Perhaps the most interesting will be the response once anything along these lines is actually enacted, if (when?) that occurs.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum