Advanced Search

Thread: can't stop browser from using proxy server cache

Thanks

Default can't stop browser from using proxy server cache

I've eliminated my browser's cache (tools > safety > delete browsing history > check everything > click Delete). I've also verified that my browser isn't using a LAN proxy server (tools > internet options > connections > LAN settings > "use a proxy server for your LAN" is unchecked). I'm not sure if there is a WAN proxy settings.

I'm building a .NET web app and when I'm navigating through my app and hit the back button, it sometimes loads a very old page that I got rid of. How's it doing this if I've cleared the browser's cache and the LAN proxy's cache. The entire application is running on my local machine so I don't know how it would get old pages from a WAN proxy.

Is there any other cache source it might be using? How would I set my application/browser to not use it?

I'm using IE9, IIS7, C# codebehind

Thanks

Can you try a different browser? Maybe you didn't delete the page (the server could be doing something odd, maybe hiding the file but still using it). If it appears in the other browser, it is not a caching problem.

Try restarting your computer. Maybe that would reset it. This will also restart your server, so maybe your server has the page cached, rather than your browser.

Otherwise, that's confusing. Check back with us if my ideas above don't help.

If this really is a caching issue, then you can probably delete the file if you can find where to look. But that's somewhat dangerous if you don't know what you're doing-- just digging through the system files and deleting things is probably a bad idea. But if you can find a location for temporary/cache files, you can delete them and all you'll lose is the cached data-- but be careful. Only try that after you have tried my ideas above, and be sure not to delete anything unless you're positive you don't need it.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

gib65 (01-12-2012)

Thanks

I think restarting the server solved the problem. That plus the fact that the problem was happening in all browsers tells me the server was sending me cached paged. Restarting it seems to clear the cache (or at least stops it from using the cache).

Thanks for your help.