Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google audio player or another mp3 player

Thanks

Question Google audio player or another mp3 player

I was looking around to be able to embed sound, in .mp3 format, on web pages. I need the player to be small and have a play/stop button.

Google audio player looked pretty good, but another thing I need to accomplish is for the mp3 voice sound clips to be able to play on all devices/systems/ipads/ etc.

What do you suggest to accomplish this?
    Last edited by mlegg; 11-23-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Thanks

This script uses several methods (depending on the browser/device) and works well.
    http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

What do you think about the way I did it on this test page? It seems to work well on the 4 PC's I tested it with (2 laptops and 2 desktops using various Windows systems). I can't check it on my son's iPad because he put a lock code on it, and I can't figure out what he used for the code.

Code:
    <div style="text-align: right;">
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="audioUrl=http://www.pscompetitiveedge.com/mp3/Intro.mp3&amp;autoPlay=true" src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3523697345-audio-player.swf" quality="best" height="27" width="300">
    <p>Use the controls to stop or pause the audio.</p></div>

Thanks

The script I posted above is what I use because it is most compatible. The script you're using works fine for my computer, but it doesn't work on my iPhone because it's based on Flash. So that's your choice, but my recommendation is clear: use a script (like the one above) that uses BOTH flash and non-flash options so that it works on all devices. In order to do that you need to use Javascript to check what will work, then present the correct media. Flash works on almost all systems, but it will never work on apple mobile devices (because they don't want it to). There is no single alternative to flash that works on more devices, so you'll need to combine both or give up on some devices.

I have tested the soundmanager2 script and it works in IE, Safari, FF, and Safari for apple mobile devices (iPhone). It uses Flash when available or HTML5 audio elements if not.

Your current page has a blank (black) space where the flash object does not appear; for the youtube video, it displays one frame with a large "play" arrow that you can click to load the video in the youtube app. But neither one works in the page, and the audio doesn't display at all.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Question

All of the audio files that I have are in .mp3 format. I have no fall back format. What will happen if I use that player and only use the .mp3 files?

Thanks

It works fine on all/many devices. That's the format I've been using. mp3 is one of the few formats that works with Flash, and it also works on apple mobile devices. So it should cover almost all of your users who have some ability to have audio in their browsers.
    But there's lots of information about this on the site. The documentation is fairly dense, but it certainly answers all of the questions you'll have.

Thanks

thanks, I had a harder time figuring that out. I solved my issue by using Windows Movie Maker and adding the mp3 to that, and then uploading it to the guy's You Tube Channel. Then when embedding it, I made the height only 30 and it worked well, maybe not the best way to do it

example> look on far right under the menu bar

Thanks

I'd suggest making the height about 35 so it isn't cut off.

But that's actually a creative solution that should work fairly well. Remember that youtube videos play outside the webpage (in an app that must open and take the whole screen, showing the whole "video") on apple mobile devices.

Still, the soundmanager2 script will do all of this exactly as you want, for almost any browser. And it'll never have to open a new window, or rely on youtube. Your choice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

mlegg (11-23-2011)

Thanks

thank you for your help. I needed to get this project done quickly for my buddy. When I have more time I will look into using your solution. He is pretty happy with my help, and it earned me a free trip to Vegas.

Thanks

Can I use this for a mp3 playlist jukebox for background music ? (rotating mp3s).

How would I add sound volume adjustment and/or mp3 choices?

)
    Thanks.