Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting

Thanks

Default Hosting

HI!
    I have leased a server of a long time and wanted to start my own server. The server i have write now runs on .asp and the other runs on linux.

What virsion of linux is best for a server? Als is there a way to dual boot from linux server to windows server on the same server?

Thanks Guy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What virsion of linux is best for a server?
    If you ever ask "which Linux distro is best for..." on a Linux forum, dig in and get ready for a flamewar I'm a Fedora user (on the desktop), which is very nice, offering both power and usability. If you're not all that confident with Linux, use this. If you're a bit more advanced, I'd recommend OpenBSD, which, although not a Linux distribution (but then neither is Fedora) is a UNIX distribution, so has quite enough compatibility to be getting on with, and is purportedly very good for servers. I have a low-spec OpenBSD server, and it's been attacked several times, by myself and friends pen-testing it, and also by malicious unknowns, occasionally. It's stood up to just about everything I can hurl at it. I was impressed. Whatever you go for, a nice administration interface (like Webmin) will make your life a heck of a lot easier.

You can indeed dual-boot Linux and Windows Server, though the only thing Windows Server has that Linux can't duplicate (well) is ASP. The guys over at Mono are having a good crack at it, but I'm afraid they're just not there yet. (EDIT: actually, Sun seem to be developing an ASP engine that runs on Linux [RHEL, should run OK on Fedora].) I'm not too bothered; I've always preferred PHP anyway. As anybody who's tried getting Windows to play nicely with other operating systems will tell you, install Windows first -- making sure to leave some space free -- then use the free space for your other server OS of choice. Windows must be installed first, as it will attempt to overwrite any other bootloaders it finds.
    Last edited by Twey; 12-11-2005 at 07:14 PM.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Ok,
    So ASP can run everything linux can? And off course ASP?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

ASP isn't an operating system. I don't understand what you're comparing.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I am getting ready to run a server, and want to know if i could go with a windows server. If i did would it be able to run php and all those other linux languages as well as asp?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You could, but I'd strongly recommend a *n?x server.

Thanks

how come?

Thanks

Also Do you know much about php?
    What does the error found http://www.websites4u.org/the/install.php mean?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ah, dear.
    Security: read this thread.
    Ease of administration: yes, Windows is easier to administrate for basic tasks, but it's much easier to do more powerful administration tasks on *n?x. Also, simple and powerful tools like Webmin are available, which provide a much better administration interface than RDP. Tools like apache, php, perl, python, and various apache modules can all be installed with much less fuss than Windows.
    Speed: debatable. My desktop runs far faster than it ever did when it ran Windows, though I haven't run any benchmarks. Especially if you have a 64-bit system (if you're running a 64-bit installation).
    Open-source: guarantees quality code.
    Also, from a more idealistic point of view, it's Free software. See http://www.fsf.org/.

Thanks

So do you know how to fix the error i see at
    http://www.websites4u.org/the/install.php