Thread: mysql query error ...

Thanks

Default mysql query error ...

Hello:

I am having a problem fixing/understanding a recent error message. Basically, I have a search form that after validation and filtering stores the variable into a session. Another page/file opens and loads that search field. Everything has always worked but I recently added pagination and suddenly this program no longer works. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

php version=5.3.1
    mysql version=5.1.41

Error:
    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ASC LIMIT 0,10' at line 1

Pagination:
    http://www.catchmyfame.com/2007/07/2...ination-class/

Here is the shortened version of the code:

include('../pagination/paginator.php');
    $searcher = $_SESSION['sessearchcode'];

$query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tblLoad, tblCode WHERE (tblLoad_LoadID = tblCode_CodeID) AND tblCode_Manufact LIKE '%$searcher%'";
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
    $num_rows = mysql_fetch_row($result);

$pages = new Paginator;
    $pages->items_total = $num_rows[0];
    $pages->mid_range = 9; // Number of pages to display. Must be odd and > 3
    $pages->paginate();

$query = "SELECT tblLoad_LoadID, tblLoad_Company, tblLoad_State, tblCode_CodeID from tblLoad, tblCode WHERE (tblLoad_LoadID = tblCode_CodeID) AND tblCode_Manufact LIKE '%$searcher%' ASC $pages->limit";
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

Thank You.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

you'd have to show us an example of the output SQL statement to be sure, but it looks like you're using ASC without an order by clause:
    Code:
    SELECT whatever FROM sometable WHERE col LIKE 'searchterm' ORDER BY some_col ASC LIMIT 0,10
    also, since ASC is the default, you don't really need to specify it. Simply using "ORDER BY" will produce the same result.
    Last edited by traq; 09-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

Here is the problem, as @traq explained:

$query = "SELECT tblLoad_LoadID, tblLoad_Company, tblLoad_State, tblCode_CodeID from tblLoad, tblCode WHERE (tblLoad_LoadID = tblCode_CodeID) AND tblCode_Manufact LIKE '%$searcher%' ASC $pages->limit";

You may remove the ASC completely as you probably don't need an ORDER BY clause.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    You may remove the ASC completely as you probably don't need an ORDER BY clause.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that without knowing more about what the OP is trying to do. Not ordering your results typically returns rows in the order they were saved - which may or may not be what they want, but would almost certainly give a different result than ordered results would.

(also, pepe_lepew, please note my edited post above.)

Thanks

Yeah, I was missing the ORDER BY.
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that without knowing more about what the OP is trying to do. Not ordering your results typically returns rows in the order they were saved - which may or may not be what they want, but would almost certainly give a different result than ordered results would.
    Correct, I was only explaining the origin of the error.