Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iframe SSI script II and Firefox problem

Thanks

Exclamation Iframe SSI script II and Firefox problem

HI! There is a small issue that I would like others to test for.

The script works fine in IE but in firefox/mozilla I noticed one small problem.

If you load a large page into the iframe lets say 2000px and then load another page with a smaller size like 600px the body of the main page stays at 2000px.

The iframe resizes ok though its just the body does not resize to fit the content at a smaller size.

I tried everyting from setting the tables to 100% and then Auto. and also changing the magins to 0 and all with no prevail.

Another user also tried this and noticed the same problem in mozilla.

I have tried this with firefox 1.04 of win XP pro system.

ps. is there going to be a new version for Opera?

Paul

Thanks

*bump*
    I have this same problem... does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think it does have to do with the page layout. To diagnose something like that I would need to see a demo of the problem. When you say 'tables to 100%', that worries me as this script is not intended to be used with tables per se.

One solution would probably be to redesign the page so that it doesn't use tables, or at least less tables. Especially to be avoided (not just for this script, but also for general design purposes) are nested tables. The fewer of those the better, for many reasons (load time for one). I also recall solving a similar problem (perhaps with a different script but, one that did dynamically change the page size) by loading in a very small content piece very quickly in between transitions. For some reason this 'got it' for that particular layout. But, ultimately we went with a redesign that eliminated most of the tables.

PLEASE: Include the URL to your problematic webpage that you want help with.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

well, let's see...

A test installation of the site shows that the problem is still occurring. You can view the problem at www.skylineservices.net. As stated previously, it only happens in FF, IE seems to be fine.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Page designers are often much more particular about their presentation's precise look than the casual observer or even someone like me who has an eye for the odd looking.

Frankly, I can see no major difference between the two browser's representation of the pages here.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

The major difference is that the body does not resize once you load a page that has a smaller content than one previously. This means that the footer does not come back up to the bottom of the content as it does in IE. This translates into a large area of blank space between the content and the footer. This is not the case in the example given for the SSI script, a'la the content below the example comes back up to the bottom of the example picture/content.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, I am aware of how that can happen in some cases. In this case, the added space in FF was either so little that it didn't seem to make a difference or, there is something different on my end to render it so. To try and find out what that may be:

What screen resolution are you using?

What OS do you have?

What version of FF are you using?
    - John

Thanks

In response to your questions:

1. resolutions ranging from 1024-1600

2. win98, 2k, XP, 2k3

3. FF 1.07 and 1.5

If you've seen this before, what, if any, were the fixes for this? And, if I may be so bold, what configs are you viewing on? Just so I can attempt to recreate your results?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that. I played around on your demo page a bit more and saw that, yes it does do what you describe. Viewing here in 1024x768 it is hardly enough to worry about but, enough that I can certainly see how it would bother me if I were the designer. Part of the reason I didn't pick up on it the first time though, is because the link to home doesn't load the home content back into the iframe but rather, reloads the home page. Each time I clicked on that link in FF, it looked like things were going back to 'normal'.

The reasons for why this may happen are many and various. I tried disabling all your height declarations in your css, that was no help. My next step was to be to look at the markup. I'm doing that now and this style evaded me the first time through because it did not show up in the FF style editing utility:

HTML Code:
    <div style="height:100%"> <!-- style for Opera compatibility DO NOT REMOVE -->
    That may be specifically required for Opera, for your page but, it shouldn't be. It isn't required for the SSI II script that I can tell. Try removing it to see if that fixes things in FF. If that doesn't do it, I'd try removing height declarations from each element starting with the largest values and working your way down. Heights are often specified for no good reason, the content usually sets the height. I'd think that the above code section is probably it in FF. 100% height is meaningless until it is filled with content, then it becomes the size of the content and, in some browsers will not relinquish that window real estate later if the content shrinks. If you really need it for Opera you could change it to a script:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    if (window.opera)
    document.write('<div style="height:100%">')
    </script>
    That, or better yet, give it an id:

HTML Code:
    <div id="opera" style="height:100%"> <!-- style for Opera compatibility DO NOT REMOVE -->
    and follow it on the page with a script that will remove its style for FF and other browsers that may also find it conflicts with the SSI II script:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    if (document.getElementById&&!document.all)
    document.getElementById('opera').removeAttribute('style')
    </script>
    As I recall, there were other percentage heights set in your stylesheet. These may or may not also be a part of the problem.
    - John

Thanks

Default Problems with Iframe Script and FF

Hello,
    I have the same problems with my page. I've designed my index page with a layout table and one cell (td) is an iframe. The iframe size adjusts automatically to the size of the targeted page in IE but not in FF.

It's just like if FF didn't update the size for each new page but kept in memory the last size of the iframe :it starts too small then it gets bigger (with a higher page) and then it doesn't get smaller !!

What can I do ? Talk a look if you want : www.pepsimola.com
    It's a personal site but if you have a minute that would be great.

Thanks a lot,
    FPV
    MY BAD OK IT ONLY WORKS WITH PAGES FROM THE SAME DOMAIN !
    Last edited by FPV; 12-03-2005 at 10:09 PM.