Thread: How to remove softwares in Program Files(x86)

Thanks

Default How to remove softwares in Program Files(x86)

I am using Win7.

I noticed that some softwares which I have previously downloaded online and uninstalled through Control Panel still show up in the Program Files (x86) folder but no longer in another Program Files folder.

Would appreciate if someone could advise on how to remove the softwares in Program Files(x86) which I no longer need.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you've already uninstalled it, you can just delete any remaining files.

Many programs keep files around though, just in case you decide to reinstall. These files can range from previously set preferences to saved work, to the program itself.

They also often leave files in the C:\Users folders under the names of the users to whom the program was available in their AppData folders, like Roaming, Local, etc., under the name of the software or its manufacturer.

And of course the registry generally will still contain paths and other settings (recently opened, stuff like that), in case you reinstall.

It's up to you how aggressive you want to be in eradicating all traces of a previously installed program.

I generally don't worry about these vestiges unless they're causing some kind of a problem.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

amyy (08-11-2011)

Thanks

yes, if you have uninstall, all the left files in the program directory aren't important so you can just delete without any problem
    sometime, if you want to completely remove something, you may also try to search the keyword in registry and delete what you can find.

Thanks

Hello, I want to delete a spy softwere which was installed by my family members, and I tried to search the keyword in registry but I could't detect it. How can I delete the remote spy on my PC? Kindly help.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 10-19-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: remove spam hotlink to remote spy which had been added by the user a month later

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

Best thing would be to get your own computer.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

The only way to guarantee that something like that will be removed is to reformat the computer. Of course your family members will notice this, so it's easier to just ask them. But if this is a computer that they are no longer using and was given to you, then reformatting is a good idea.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Smile

Thanks for your suggestion, it's very useful

Thanks

I suggest you to recheck in the control panel that it is removed completely or not. If you uninstall it completely than just delete all the files remaining on the computer. If still you are getting same problem then format is a final solution.