Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP tracking

Thanks

Default IP tracking

hey guys, I need to know if there is a way to record the ip address of a person who visits my page. With my security, I have it set to direct anyone to a certain page when detected. I want to be able to get their IP address so I can ban their site account. (their log in)

Thanks

You can't do this with HTML, but you can with a server-side language. The documentation for PHP, ASP and most other server-side languages explain how to get a user IP.

-cr3
    A retired member, drop me a line through my site if you'd like to find me!
    cr3ative media | read the stickies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's a JavaScript that does close to what you're asking, though for something more robust, a pure PHP (or any server side) script is required: http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/.../blockip.shtml

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Actually, that script requires SSI. There is no way to obtain the IP address using Javascript.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

thanks, is there even some lame web service that supplies the PHP code?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does your server support PHP, even if its a different server than the one you want to display the IP address on? If so, see this tutorial (first page): http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatut...ernalphp.shtml

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Try http://www.openswarm.com/ for free PHP hosting.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Try http://www.openswarm.com/ for free PHP hosting.
    As many people who might try that service won't read the terms and conditions , I thought I should point out that there are limitations.

• Pages will contain banner advertisements. Altering or attempting to remove these banners will lead to account termination.
    • A site that receives no traffic (either as updates or from visitors) for sixty (60) days will be removed.
    • Primary content languages are limited to English, French, German, and Italian.
    • File types are limited, and binary files are limited to 1MB.
    There are other legal conditions, and none of them (including those above) are unreasonable. I was interested in the terms, and thought others might benefit from being made aware of the more interesting aspects.

Anyone signing up to a service is binding themselves into a legal agreement, and must read the terms of that contract.

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Anyone signing up to a service is binding themselves into a legal agreement, and must read the terms of that contract.
    Don't know about "must," despite the desperate attempts of several honest companies "Should," definitely. Permitted file extensions, by the by, are:
    js, swf, au, snd, mid, midi, ram, wav, gif, jpg, wrl, vrml, css, html, htm, rtf, png, psd, ico, doc, sql
    This is rather peculiar, since it claims PHP support, but doesn't allow .php files. I daresay that .htm and/or .html files are parsed as PHP.

Thanks

you can host with http://xmgfree.com/, they have free php/cpanel/mysql/200 mb of space/2 gb of bandwidth transfer per month.