Thread: firefox download manager - does this exist?

Thanks

Question firefox download manager - does this exist?

i would like just to input a bunch of links i would like to have downloaded, then walk away and have it download them for me.

for example, all those file uploading sites like filesonic, megaupload, mediafire, they all have waiting times and if i wanna download something that is 15 parts, its not possible without me babysitting it for a week.

is there a download manager that would, for example, let me input five filesonic links, then walk away and have the manager download all the links for me?
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks

Those sites attempt to block automated requests so I don't think that's possible. In fact, it might even be against their TOS.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I also completely forgot about the fact that they require a captcha.
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Free Download Manager with FlashGot ought to work well; FlashGot's website says that it supports sites like these.

Edit: Or you could use FlashGot with FatRat, if you're into that sort of thing.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks

ive had flashgot for a while actually. but i dont know how i would make it do this sort of thing
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks

I don't believe you can. Those are standard download managers that work with normal files but giving you more options. They aren't designed to stream or work with CAPTCHAs.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I agree,I tried but I have found the same that It is impossible to use these download managers with CAPTCHA files.

Thanks

You'll be able to do several downloads in that way (I used FlashGet):
    1) limit the number of simultanious downloads to 1
    2) insert captchas and get the links
    3) enqueue the downloads in FlashGet and start them all.
    You'll have only one active download at one time and after finishing the 1st one, the 2nd one will start.
    But it will work if there are no limits on downloads from one IP and the links you got after entering capthas are active enough to download all of them.
    Last edited by Derickko; 09-16-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks

The Firefox download "manager" is very limited. If your internet connection drops, it will try to download a file for a bit then determine that the file does not exist and give up, and claim there is an "error". Once you reset your connection you cannot resume the download. The only way to get around that is to intentionally pause any downloads when you might have a connection interruption or immediately after being disconnected before firefox figures out that there is no more data coming. A real download manager would never arbitrarily delete your incomplete downloads but would at least give you the option to wait to resume until later, especially when this is caused by the internet connection going out. Firefox can't seem to tell the difference between a nonresponsive site (claiming the site that existed 5 seconds ago no longer exists) and a broken internet connection that will be fixed. If you have a somewhat unreliable router like I do, that's not a solution.
    And by the way, Safari has a very similar download window (complete with "pause" and multiple downloads, if you want to consider that complete), and other browsers probably do too.

As for the CAPTCHA protected downloads, that won't help at all. In fact, in many cases if you pause a download while it is going then it will not be able to resume again. This is certainly true if you change your session (close the browser, or connect to a new IP such as on a new wifi network), and often true if you just pause it and wait a while on the same setup. That's because those sites try to stop exactly what you're trying to do.

Thanks

I've never had any luck using Firefox to do what you are trying to do. It is very limited as djr33 indicated. I would use a download manager like FlashGet to do this kind of a project or I'd re-think the project.