Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Pausing RSS scroller character + remove description

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Pausing RSS scroller character + remove description

    1) Script Title: Pausing RSS scroller

    2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...ller/index.htm

    3) Describe problem:

    Ok so i have a RSS feed from the status of our facebook page that will be presented on a waiting room screen

    Source Rss feed: http://www.facebook.com/feeds/page.p...2&format=rss20

    Now i am ble to have the feeds come into my html page, now 2 issues

    1. French characters like é à show up like participé. when it should be participé.


    - i saved my page as UTF-8 and as ISO-8859-1 and both show same results, even changed in my lastRSS.php -> var $default_cp = 'ISO-8859-1'; and still fails

    2. if some one could point me on how to removed the description that is showing in black


    you can preview my feed at http://72.55.164.4/~alramee/rssfeed/

    If some one can give me a hand i would appreciate it

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10,143
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    On the issue of the mangled characters, there's been a few threads on this I believe, though I'm not sure if a solution came out of any of them. You might want to do a search on Google for "ajax content charset issue" or the like to see if something useful turns up.

    if some one could point me on how to removed the description that is showing in black
    Try removing the code in red below inside your initialization code:

    Code:
    new rsspausescroller("Facebook", "pscroller2", "rssclass", 3000, "", "date+description")
    DD Admin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great thanks the description is now gone thanks!

    Now all is left is to figure out the character issue for french characters

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs up

    Shazam!! I fixed my issue for the french characters

    in the lastRSS.PHP file there is some encoding entries i modified

    // Public properties

    // -------------------------------------------------------------------

    var $default_cp = 'UTF-8';

    var $CDATA = 'content';

    var $cp = '';

    var $items_limit = 0;

    var $stripHTML = False;

    var $date_format = '';
    I changed the entries in Red

    // Public properties

    // -------------------------------------------------------------------

    var $default_cp = 'ISO-8859-1';

    var $CDATA = 'content';

    var $cp = 'ISO-8859-1';

    var $items_limit = 0;

    var $stripHTML = False;

    var $date_format = '';

    refreshed my page and that fixed my issue for all the french characters.

    I hope this helps someone down the road

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10,143
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    Thanks for sharing that, I'm sure it will be of use to future members that have the same issue.
    DD Admin

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •