Thread: Copyright

Thanks

Smile Copyright

Hi guys Iím looking for some info.

I have been thinking about making some web template to sell on the net.
    I was just wondering if I can use the code from dynamic drive in them templates if I plan on selling them?
    Is this copyright or are all the codes on here open source?

Thank you.

Thanks

The codes here are copyrighted. But you can use them in some cases.
    The main question is whether the DD scripts are the main component being sold. This is not allowed. Additionally, it is not allowed to distribute DD scripts separately anywhere.
    ddadmin will need to make the final decision, but if you can post a link or send him a link directly, that will help.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espaŮol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguÍs | catalŗ | un peu de franÁais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Assuming your templates are not basically just blank or sparsely composed HTML skeletons, but actual "professional" templates in which some of our scripts are used merely as an enhancement to the product, then it's fine. Some people may try to circumvent our TOS that prohibits direct redistribution of our scripts by doing so under the guise of integrating them into a product that's created solely to get around this point. That's what this portion of our TOS tries to guide against.

Note that even in the permissible case, the original credit notice of each script must remain intact and viewable when the user views source on the template.
    DD Admin

Thanks

I believe the copyright notice must also remain even when the template is used, so that anyone using the template (your customers) must maintain the copyright notices. Correct?
    This may require a notice when downloading the templates, though it is marked clearly in the source code as well.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espaŮol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguÍs | catalŗ | un peu de franÁais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There's no need to include an additional credit notice on the templates download pages. The only requirement is that the original credit notice inside the script (in between the script tags) and within the .js file(s) are retained.
    DD Admin