Thread: saving changes to regedit

Thanks

Default saving changes to regedit

Hi, I am trying to play around with regedit to alter some settings in windows media player 11, but every time I make changes and close regedit then open wmp11 and close it then open regedit the changes seem to revert back to the default settings. Any idea on how I can make the changes persist?
    Last edited by james438; 04-25-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks

I expect there's not much you can do (just guessing) because it's a microsoft product so it's probably fairly well accounted for. Is there a way you could change the permissions? I'm not sure that's worth the risk though since it might make things stop working.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

It looks like I do have permissions. All I don't have is special permissions. It looks like this may take some homework. Basically when playing a song I want to be able to view all of the lyrics at once as opposed to having them all scrunched up into a very small window.

I did find an addon that works wonderfully, though, called http://www.lyricsplugin.com/ I am trying to find other methods.
    Last edited by james438; 04-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks

I am not sure exactly what I was doing incorrectly before, but here is how I was able to change the values and get them to stick.

When the values are changed to an unrecognized format, or is outside predetermined limits, the registry will revert the value back to its factory settings. In this case the captions height for viewing lyrics in windows media player 11 has a default value of 100, which is approximately 6 lines of viewable text. By going into the registry via regedit I can increase the value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Tasks\NowPlaying CaptionsHeight from 100 to 500 (decimal). If I change it to 501 then it will revert to the decimal value of 100. 500 will fill up half of the window, depending on monitor resolution, which is much better than a mere 6 lines of text.

I am continuing to investigate how I can break out of the 500 decimal value limit. If I discover it I will try to post it here.

I realize there are many other media players out there, but for some reason I have come to enjoy wmp 11 once again. This exercise also helps me to better understand how to change registry values as well as what it can do.
    Last edited by james438; 05-02-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: minor formatting, rewording, and elaboration