Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firefox 4 using 200MB of ram

Thanks

Question firefox 4 using 200MB of ram

actually about 210mb. firefox 3 used about 100mb. is this normal? i only have 2 extensions installed, less than what 3 had installed. only 1 tab opened now.

EDIT
    it's using 270mb now, with one tab opened.

EDIT
    290mb and counting.
    Last edited by Johnnymushio; 03-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks

Firefox is known to use a lot of RAM. Usually it's connected to busy pages. For example, Javascript and Flash can greatly increase the amount of RAM used.
    It's not a good thing, but it doesn't really hurt anything either unless you don't have enough RAM. About 200 is as high as it usually goes, so as long as you have 1GB+ of RAM and aren't trying to run too many things at once, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I've looked into it some more, and it appears to be a AdBlock Plus memory leak. When it is disabled, it only uses about 50-100mb tops, as opposed to 300 to 500mb.
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks

300mb-500mb does sound like an extreme amount. Glad you figured it out.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I also noticed 4 doesn't have many add-ons available for it. Upgrading the supported ones makes them no longer compatible with your old firefox. I've just reverted to the old one and have lost firebug, some add-ons, and small preferences (mostly just inconveniences). I'm on a mac if anyone else is wondering about this (tried 3.6.16 to 4.0).
    Corrections to my coding/thoughts welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Early adopters.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

linkification didn't work for me, but apparently there is a new version of it that will work with ff4. Still, I don't see it on the official firefox addon's page. adblock plus has the memory leak problem. Flashgot is the only addon of mine that appears to work.

I didn't use any betas or release candidates waiting it out in hopes of avoiding problems like this, oh well.

That aside...

I keep thinking the little tab arrow on the title bar is a spec of dirt. Right now I am running on my battery only, so I have transparency disabled, but when it is enabled, at least once a day I'll swipe my finger across it hoping to get it off the screen.

That and I keep right-clicking links and opening them in new windows, since "open in new window" and "open in new tab" have swapped positions.
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Perhaps I should elaborate. I'm sure the add ons will come along. In the meantime, if you reinstall Firefox 3x you should be able to uninstall add ons that are no longer working and reinstall them to the older version of Firefox.

I'm unfamiliar with Macs, but under Windows you may have to clean the registry and delete the folders for the specific add ons in the programs folder (if any), and the Firefox folder (if any), and the same thing in the AppData or Applications Data folder (the name of this folder varies by Windows version), once again, if any. This may need to be done after uninstalling and before reinstalling to prevent settings specific to Firefox 4 from persisting. Same thing with Firefox itself. Macs probably have something similar.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Mine hit 1.3 GB yesterday; I'm at 500 MB right now with 26 tabs.

The solution: Get more RAM.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks

Try with a clean profile. 200MB is not necessary problematic: if you don't experience any problem with it, there is no point. And it depends to what site you have gone.