Thread: "Can't view this webpage? Click here" script/option

Thanks

Default "Can't view this webpage? Click here" script/option

Ok so the big holdup with putting my website out there is, before I put any money or extreme time into advertising it, Id like it to be as viewable as possible by like, everyone possible. I'm not that worried about Linux users, chances are if they use Linux they can figure out how to view the webpage if they want to. Everyone else I'd like to though.

I'm probably being over paranoid but, I put a lot of time into this page. What are my options for a button like "Cant view this webpage? Click here!" I've seen it before but if I remember right, they usually have a whole 2nd webpage created I think for this option.

I was thinking maybe thered be a service you cna maybe view a webpage through that maybe, eliminates all of the un needed junk and views the content of a page with just the necessary inforamtion. Kind of like Lynx View where you can view your webpage in text only mode. But I dont know how I feel about just text unless its my only alternative.

If I do use a "Cant view this webpage? Click here" Where is even safe to put it? If they cant see the webpage how can I guarantee theyll see that?

Thanks so much for any input, I was going to just settle for correcting html errors but the webpage looks fine in all of the major browsers I've checked it in and I'm afraid to just mess things up by correcting errors, like I already did fixing half of them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

what sort of things might limit your page from being viewed? are you using scripts that might break if certain plugins aren't installed? are you using really heavy images that could freeze on slower connections? are you using html5 features that depend heavily on javascript (primarily and/or as a fallback)?

Honestly, if your page is well-written, it might appear differently on different browsers/systems, but it's unlikely be completely un-viewable. Let us know more about what, specifically, you're concerned about, and we might have some better answers.

Thanks

well as u may know its drpcrepair . com uhm, flash should view an image if it doesnt view, id like to make sure of that i guess (works on ipad though) um, the html errors i guess im worried about, im def a bit worried about slowe connections...html 4.01 i think transition im using? at my knowledge level its a lil hard for me to answer better than that. scrips not loading im really not sure, idk anything about that, i am using external css and JS though.

Thanks

HTML will be viewable for everyone-- it might be a little different, but it will get the point across, as long as you have some very basic ideas about how to not make content completely hidden. (Basically: don't do weird stuff unless you have a good reason.)

Javascript should not be required for content and that might prevent some users from seeing it, but either they are using a very uncommon browser (very limited mobile device?) or they intentionally disabled it. Keep this in mind and limit required javascript-- don't put any content in Javascript-only parts of the site, but use JS as you want for enhancing interaction, as long as it's just adding to what's already there.

If you build the entire site in flash, that's the only time you'd need a "can't view this site" link, and even then it's probably poorly designed.

If you have specific content that might not be visible (like a flash element or a video) then you can put a link next to it for an alternative, but I don't see why you'd want to do that for the whole site.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

i hate to ask but as far as i can see, this is the last issue involving my site

would u mind taking a look and just seeing if theres anything that may be a problem to view? im not sure how easily this can be done (id think pretty easily, possibly without even viewing source code), so its hard for me to see if it's too much for me to ask of someone. i guess as long as all of my text is visible (regardless of addons or w/e) AND my css menu wont be an issue, so they can get from page to page, then im good.

i did see what u said, but im not sure if u were referring to my site specifically?

or maybe i can even just ask the right questions to get this answered
    javascript shouldnt be used for content required, makes sense, i think mine is only being used for features.
    css is ok though? i guess i dont see 'turn css off' so im guessing yea.

any flash content i have, i can deal with them not being able to see. maybe even change my "DOWNLOAD FLASH NOW" to the actual words that are suppose to be there. didnt even think of that ha.

thanks very much

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I suppose the simplest accessibility test for any site is to turn off images and javascript in your browser and try it out that way (this is how Google will see it too)

You soon get to see the 'good' sites - they're the ones that you can still navigate and read all the info for and even submit a form without problems.

'bad' sites are potentially 'white outs' - where all the content is embedded in images and/or javascripts and the only way you can guess its a web page is when you move your cursor around and see it turn to the hand. (and even then the designer hasnt used title and alt attributes so the tooltips dont appear to offer an inkling of what's going on! - tsk, tsk!)

Sites viewed with images and js turned off certainly arnt pretty but as long as the content is relatively easy to access, and the markup is good, that's what matters.
    Focus on Function Web Design
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps