Thread: Setting up a Server

Thanks

Default Setting up a Server

Alright, here I am, once again triy to get my server going. I don't really know where to start. I have a server, check and done; now I need some software. Anybody know where to go from here. (last time I downloaded and iso and booted from there) I was using bluequartz, which I now have no idea how to set up for online due to the fact there is no support. How and what do I do to go about getting this server online.
    -Ben -- THE DYNAMIC DRIVERS
    My Links: My DD Profile||My Youtube Video Tutorials||DD Helping Coders||DD Coders In Training
    I told my client to press F5, the client pressed F, then 5, *facepalm*

Thanks
    Blog Entries

is this a live server (publicly available)? private network? local machine?

Have you ever looked into Ubuntu Server?

Thanks

Well, It is currently running CentOS\Apache with Blue Quartz administration. I have never been able to get it online, no. Currently I access it through 192.168.1.50 (I assigned it 50 though my router). Only the first site shows up however. I realized that I would need to add dns entries in the server, so I did. For a while when I entered my external IP, it would redirect to the current webhost, not owned by me. but now, it just times out. I have forwarded port 80 to it, and set it as the DMZ Server. After doing some reading online, I realized that the reason it was timing out is because there was no "requested" domain. So in other words I would need a nameserver, so I registered two hosts with godaddy on my domain and routed them to the server.
    ---
    pre-post edit: damn, I just realized, nameservers wont work over a dynamic IP.... rrrggg....
    ---
    2nd pre-post edit: I called my ISP and they said that they can give me a static IP, but on Monday! Arrgh. Assuming all goes well, would this make my server public?
    ---
    post-post edit:
    Edit:
    For the host name servers, I just set my ip for both of them, right? In the server I set the dns records, so in theory if you vist somewebsite.com and the nameservers are set to my ip, then the server will receive that request and return the the correct website, right?
    --
    I also have a question if I set up my dns record correctly. It shows the site name then the ip address as 192.168.1.50 (which is itself). Would this work?
    Last edited by fileserverdirect; 12-11-2010 at 03:47 AM.
    My Links: My DD Profile||My Youtube Video Tutorials||DD Helping Coders||DD Coders In Training

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't have any actual experience doing this - anything I suggest would be pure guesswork.

I suggested Ubuntu Server because I've heard good things from IT guys. I was thinking about setting up a server for myself a few years back, but the more I researched, the more complex it got... I don't have the time to be a sysadmin

Thanks

Well besides the point, I was testing it a few days ago, and I, from my computer could access onionhouseonline.com, and everything worked fine, however no one else outside my network could access it. My DNS records were for 192.168.1.50 (the server ip), and everything seemed to be fine, when I changed the dns records to my external IP, nothing would work and everything would time out. I did a dnsstuff.com transversal and it said my nameservers were timing out. For the domain, I have the hosts set as my external IP. Do I actually need two outside servers that redirect requests to the server? Can't it just redirect to itself? Ugh, this is so confusing..... Can anyone help?

Thanks

here is a video of my setting up a 8 core system.

http://www.verocom.com/2010/08/inside-dwhs-2/

but I would not do more then 4, this things runs really hot!

basically newegg.com will be your best friend when building systems.

get the best fans and green balanced power.

For the OS I like centos

touch metal before touching anything or you can fry the mobo or ram.

Be careful with the hard-drive they break the most.

Good luck!

Thanks

I already have my server,dwhs, I am not building one, but thanks anyways.
    I was able to get the server to work outside my home netwrok, as of now I am just waiting for dns propagation.