0 0%
  • pretty good

1 25.00%
  • definitely nice

1 25.00%
  • eh, its ok.

2 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey any opinions for me on my site please guys?

Thanks

Default Hey any opinions for me on my site please guys?

Hey got any opinions for me guys? Suggestions especially? Ideas? Keep in mind I do possibly plan to, put this site on a commercial at some point in time, so I need it to be widely compatible and not too strenuous on 56k users (i guess?) to get all i can out of where I post the site. Thanks !!!!
    http://www.mgpcrepair.tk <-temp address

Thanks

The .tk address doesn't help, but if that's temporary I'll ignore it. It's fine of course, but once you load a secondary page it doesn't seem too professional.

The look of the page is good, I think. But there are a few things in terms of function that I don't love:

1. You're relying very heavily on flash. On the other hand, I'm surprised how good this looks on my iphone: you've done a very good job integrating the non-flash backups. I still think you should think about whether you need so much flash on the page: it's harder to maintain (much more difficult to change text than in a regular html file for example) and it makes the site look a little too busy in my opinion-- not excessively so, but just could be a little simpler without losing much.

2. Flash and images add up and if you're worried about 56k (maybe you shouldn't be), that won't help anything. The bigger problem is this: when I click a link the entire page reloads and is white for a second. That's distracting and makes the layout feel a lot less smooth. Remember it isn't just about look but also interaction/experience. By cutting down on filesize this might improve, and you might also do well suggesting that the browser does some sort of caching-- this can be done in a few ways, but the basic idea is to tell the browser a date far in the future for expiration of the media and hopefully it won't reload each time. You could do this using PHP or perhaps in the server configuration-- I'm not sure what the best way is to be honest.
    Since you're already using flash, you could use flash to create a frames-like design so that the reloading doesn't happen to abruptly-- the menu can be static and the content will refresh.
    And/or you could look into Ajax. Of course as-is (without relying on either) is functional, but it could be made smoother with an optional method like those.

3. I don't like that the new pages open in a new window: the general rule is this: only open a new window when you are using an external link. Of course there are many cases where this isn't a good idea either. But within the same site, it's almost always a bad idea.

4. The whole site seems a little large to me-- on this current monitor (1024x768), it would probably be better to have the text and buttons a little smaller. Of course this varies by resolution, but consider what it would look like for someone on 800x600 or a mobile device.

5. The only specific problem I see is that the design for the active button on the right navigation menu looks weird. That is: the link to the current page.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Its clean and neat - certainly a pleasant looking site.

The colour-scheme is quite muted and neutral which is relaxing to look at. Personally I favour a more striking colour-scheme but it depends what type of image you want to portray. May I suggest an accent colour though? A nice bright yellowy-orange to breakup the page a little - even if its just on the background of the arrow buttons (the circles) or as a horizontal rule, etc. I think it would really help add interest to your design. I'd also replace the "remote repair & chat" text with the same yellowy-orange too.

As Daniel highlighted, the design overall looks quite "big" with lots of wide margins/padding on blocks, so maybe think about reducing the size of the layout and shrinking down the font-size in places ("more" buttons and the large info pane).

I wont go any deeper than visuals as I think Daniel has pretty much cover it.

Good luck though
    Focus on Function Web Design
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps

Thanks

drj33 thanks a lot bro i appreciate all of the input. im confused why it doesnt look professional once u load a 2nd page, because EVERYTHING reloads? i cant really put much mroe time into this and making EVERYTHING flash so that only the text changes I assume is just going to be worse as far as load time goes (but i suck with all of this stuff)

flash definitely isnt a must, i just, i felt the page needing SOMETHING to make it a little more live. one of my competitors is www.robandpete.com and theres is so much nicer, that's actually where i was like crap i need flash or something. any ideas instead of flash? if i were to get rid of it? i considered making two versions, but then every update I make i would have to update both of them.

you mean using frames in place of the main text and 3 boxes at the bottom?
    what would i search to try and do that, any idea? also what would i search to do with ajax?

i always open a new window because i figure that way my site is still open if they still want to be there after clicking a link, otherwise they can close it. any issues id run into with opening it in a new page? popup blockers dont seem bothered i odnt think.

design for the active button? do u mean the offline/online live chat? and weird how please? thanks again so much bro. that's a lot of input to think about.

beverly, thanks alot. id have to see what u mean i think about the orangy yellow and where to put it, i really cant think id how id that in anywhere i dont think, ill have to give that a little further thought though. where should i shrink? the more button texts themselves ad large info pane i asume is the main text u first read when going to each page?

thx so much everyone.

Thanks

1. Everything reloads, but that's the whole problem: it takes a while for everything to reload and in that time (even though it might be less than a second), the page flashes and the smoothness is lost. I don't have a specific suggestion for fixing it, but somehow making it smoother-- cutting down on file size, caching some things, using frames, using ajax, etc-- would help.

2. I don't recommend frames/iframes because they bring in more problems than solutions.

3. Ajax is a good option but of course complex. Ajax is a method of Javascript, and it is very common. You won't have any trouble finding information about it, but you might actually find too much. There are some scripts in the library here that could help you, but it depends on exactly what approach you want to take. It might be more than you need to do for this site (at this time), but it's something to think about to really make everything smooth since reloading it makes the layout jump/flash due to the heavy graphics.

4. A different option for this is to properly style the elements so that they resemble their final states. If the flash or image that will eventually load into that position is gray, then maybe the div's background for it gray as well. This sort of thing might make everything much smoother in the transition.
    Honestly, I'm not sure why your page bothered me when it reloaded, but it's more noticeable than others, and the only thing I can guess is that it's due to the graphics. So if you can just style the elements to not be so jarring, it'll probably reduce this to the point that it isn't a problem.

5. Yes, that's a common strategy, but there are many arguments against it. One is that it's annoying to have a lot of windows open up and (whether or not you like it) your visitors don't want to be bothered by your page still being open after they're doing something else. It's something like the inverse of a popup with the same effect. It's not actually blocked by anything, though the methods for accomplishing this are becoming limited: in the newest versions of HTML, the target attribute is actually removed, so at best you have to use Javascript but that's not a great solution either. Most browsers still support target though, so that's one way to approach it...

6. Based on the link you gave above, the "Remote Repair & Chat (Online!)" title/link/tab on the right doesn't seem to match the rest of the page to me. The shape isn't the same as the other links, yet it's in the same vertical line so it should be the same... right?
    The biggest problem is the bright green. You have green nowhere else on the page so there's no reason for this to be green. (The red hover doesn't help much either.)
    Everything else fits smoothly together, but that one element looks like it was brought in from a different design.

I hope that helps. I've been thorough not because you need to necessarily fix everything, but because it's better for you to know and then you can decide what is worth fixing.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Yeah, I 'd love to fix everything I just honestly dont have the knowledge to. What exactly should be done with Ajax so I can try to figure out what to Google?

"If the flash or image that will eventually load into that position is gray, then maybe the div's background for it gray as well." I read that three times I cant seem to understand. All of my flash has transparent abckgroudns so I cant see why the background color behind it matters (before or after it loads)

Definitely helps. I chose the green because it stands out, any color recommendations there? For link color AND hover color? Definitely dont like the red. I was actually considering green when i'm online, red when I'm not, but I didnt know where to even start and it's not worth it.

I changed around a few things ("more" box heights, added in a bunch of links for SEO), i really hate the pop up feature I used for "more info" because in different browsers they appear in different places so I cant get them to show nicely above, or over the more button for ALL browsers, any suggestions here? I'm clueless. for example in Opera browser, under PC Repair the "more" shows not completely over (covering) the "more" BUTTON, itself, then in internet explorer it covers it completely. i'd like it to stick to the same pattern regardless of browser.

thx so much again bro.

Thanks

Honestly, I'm not sure how to fix everything I've suggested. I'm just giving you my opinion as a "user" of your site.

Ajax probably isn't necessary, but you would want to look for any Ajax script that [re]loads a part of the page. That's most of what Ajax does, though sometimes it is used for silent operations like checking something against the database and getting a variable in Javascript-- maybe changing the clock's time on the page or something. But usually it's something that replaces part of the page with newer content.

Here's a link to another current discussion about a site using Ajax:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=58653
    See the link to the other site for what this user is trying to achieve.

Here's a script for Ajax available on this site:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...jaxcontent.htm
    I've used it and it works well.

It's certainly not the only option, but it should do what you need.

But back to the big picture, I'm not sure Ajax is needed. There is something strange about how your server is sending the page, or how the page is generated, or something like that. I don't understand why, but here's an explanation:
    When I click a link on your page, there is a white flash for about half a second before the next page loads. When I click a page on many other sites, this does not occur. Either the entire page is instantaneously replaced, or, if the layout matches, it appears that sections of the page are replaced. This is a smooth way to make it work. For some reason your server/page isn't doing this.
    I'm not talking about a slow connection or anything like that-- I'm describing the sequence of events after the page begins to load. It's like your page has an extra step of "clear the whole screen" before it loads new content.
    Does that make sense?

I don't think that should happen, and here's an example of a site that doesn't do it:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ (this site)
    Now load that page and click one of the tabs ("new" or "revised" for example, at the top).
    The entire page does reload, and there is a slight jump, but in general everything is very smooth and the whole screen never becomes white.

I've never encountered this so I don't know where to start in fixing it, but one possibility is that if you are using a serverside script (or your server is doing something automatically), it is waiting to send any data until all data is processed. This might be, for example, an output buffer, where everything is processed into a variable then only at the end is everything immediately released to the browser. The other pages are loading sequentially so that first the top, then the middle, ..., then the bottom are loaded in that order, one at a time, so that the whole page is never (or only for the shortest possible time) blank.
    Last edited by djr33; 11-15-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

that's cool djr33 your briefly answers and discussion really helpful for other newbie like me.

Thanks

yup you are the **** dr33, ill be back to this thread, the site got put on hold for a bit *sigh
    my luck sucks
    really starting to question if its that mirror i broke a year or two ago
    and im not even superstitious (sp?)

Thanks

Looking at this thread again, look into whether some sort of caching is setup on your server (rather, if your server is telling the browser to cache or not to cache) because that might explain it. Just another thing to think about.

Good luck.