Thread: MySQL - assigning user and password

Thanks

Default MySQL - assigning user and password

I've been using "root" as my user name and not using any password at all, when setting up a MySQL database just for learning purposes. I've been using PuTTY to create and work on my databases.

Now I'm ready to put up a registration page on the Net, and will want to have a mysql_connect statement in it. So now I need to have a real user name and to have an actual password.

My question is - how do I assign those to a database that already exists?

(For that matter, how do I assign them when I create a db in the first place?)
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 10-16-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: restore original post

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

You had edited the above changing it to something like, "Sorry dumb question." And you removed the actual question.

If they're asked sincerely, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

I too am just starting out with MySQL and would love to see this question answered.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hello, JScheuer,

I edited the question because I discovered that the answers are in Chapter 2 of the MySQL book I have (MySQL by Larry Ullman, 2nd ed.).

It's the kind of question that, I think, we are supposed to research for ourselves before asking here.