Thread: Flash on IPhone

Thanks

Default Flash on IPhone

If I understood things right, Iphone can't show all the great widgets that my and other peoples websites might have unless the people with IPhones download a special flash app to their phone. I'm not an Iphone user my self, but would be great if my site looked the same on a phone as it does on the web. Is there anyone that knows how to make this happen (or does most phones show flash anyway?

Thanks

The iPhone does not support flash because apple does not want it to support flash. Basically it's a complex industry-political issue, and this is not going to change any time in the near future.

There is no reason that an iphone can't use flash except that it just doesn't work like that. Other phones might, but very few do. In fact, I don't know of any that do, but I assume at least some do.

The iphone does have a few helpful ways to work around this, but only a few. For example, there is a youtube app that allows the videos from youtube, but the youtube site doesn't work on the phone (except by opening the links in this youtube app).

Aside from that, in every way the Safari browser on the phone is a full version. For example, Javascript works just like on the computer (except that there is only a touchscreen and no way to do fancy mouse things like hover or double click).

As always, it is very important to have a non-flash backup if you need everyone to be able to access your site. Mobile devices are only one reason, but currently a major reason. It's the same with Javascript and really anything else that might not be supported. Anything aside from basic HTML will limit some number of users. For example, CSS is not supported on the earliest browsers (and perhaps VERY basic mobile browsers, but only the most basic), so even that might limit .01% of your visitors, or some number like that. That probably doesn't really matter, but for Javascript and Flash (along with, of course) other plugins, this number is higher. It depends on the purpose of your site, though... if you expect a lot of people on phones, don't expect they have fancy browsers or that they can even access content in the same way, such as clicking with a mouse, etc.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

you can use the javascript / jquery for alternative, it's work well in my case.

But of course the effect not as smooth as flash, but it works

this is for example, http://www.kemangvillage.com i develop it with a lot of javascript n dynamicdrive script, and it works.

Thx dynamicdrive...

David Demetrius // davejob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaniel View Post
    If I understood things right, Iphone can't show all the great widgets that my and other peoples websites might have unless the people with IPhones download a special flash app to their phone. I'm not an Iphone user my self, but would be great if my site looked the same on a phone as it does on the web. Is there anyone that know how to make this happen (or does most phones show flash anyway?
    That's the most complicated issue in iphone ipad development but unfortunately all the previous posts are true! Iphone platform doesn't support flash and that what makes web sites with integrated flash applications or flash elements so vulnerable. Basically there're other codding languages allowing the same results as flash does but you will have to make all the work once again. So you should better decide is it so important you users could see your web site as you see it on your pc.
    And I have a counter question is it true that soon all iphone apps will be on Silverlight?
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 05-23-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: remove spam hotlink