Thread: Third party site disclaimer (continue | decline) popup?

Thanks

Arrow Third party site disclaimer (continue | decline) popup?

I need to implement a little box (a div, really...I can take care of the CSS) that pops up when a user clicks a link to a third-party website.

The box needs to have a "continue to third party site" link and a "decline" link underneath a legal disclaimer.

I've done quite a few searches but came up empty-handed. Is this pretty difficult to do? Any help would be much appreciated. I am using Mootools if that matters...but plain JS is fine. Thanks.
    Last edited by maruchan; 08-20-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Thanks

But personally I think they are one of the most annoying things in the virtual world.

Thanks

LOL, there's no way I would have thought of that Google query. Thanks though. The feature is a requirement by an auditing agency for a financial institution I work with. So you should talk to people in legal about that. ;-)

Thanks

It should be the responsibility of the user understanding when they are on a new site. Plus, this is no guarantee; if the user has JavaScript disabled, or is on an old/limited browser (cell phone?) can they then sue the company??
    Last edited by djr33; 08-22-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Why don't you include a few lines in your sites disclaimer that says something like;

Our website contains links to other websites. We have provided such links for convenience and
    inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement
    or approval of the linked site or its content.
    We are not responsible for the content of any website
    outside of this one.
    Focus on Function Web Design
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps

Thanks

Yes, that's what most sites do about this issue, if they do anything at all.

On the other hand, if this is absolutely required, you could use a link like http://mysite.com/go.php?url=http://google.com then use a serverside language (such as php) to redirect or generate a link only after the user reads a disclaimer. But is that really necessary?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum