Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REQ: Easy 3 column database help

Thanks

Default REQ: Easy 3 column database help

Hi,

I would like to create an extremely small database, only three columns in one table, (preferably excel). It will be used to archive links to old project urls linked to our intranet ticket records.

I would like the front end to be html with 3 fields to enter the data, (ie. Date, ID, Project Name) with a submit button. And have the records presented on an html page.

Is this possible? I am not allowed to have mysql or access. Basically, they don't want me to create a monster on their server.

Thank you
    Last edited by igotregistered; 07-30-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you could use excel, but I don't think it would be easy (convenient/non-monstrous) to integrate with your website.

If they don't like MySQL (which isn't really all that monster-like), you could see if your host supports SQLite. It's very small and portable.

Thanks

Hi, thank you for responding. This is my company, actually. Basically I built a small utility site for my particular job function. I admin our phone systems voIP network. The site has all our locations, call manager and CME IP connections, vendor references.....etc.

I also included parts of our intranet in iframe tags which pertain to my job function as well.

Basically I want to keep a running list of all our site projects, outside of headquarters. I'd like to be able to enter the project info into text fields and submit to create a new record. I'm not allowed to do anything but host my html files in a small directory on this production server. I figured I might be able to use something from microsoft, maybe. And make an HTML form to add the records

Thanks

How about flat file, with text files? Can that be done with an html front end to view existing records, and enter new?

Thanks

Yes, but it won't give you the flexibility or availability of a database: you can't search, cross reference or do anything else easily.

If your system is simple you may be able to design a flat file system that works fine, but it won't be the most efficient way. The irony here is that mysql will be less work for the server than flat files... but... that's that, I guess...
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

SQLite doesn't require any special configuration; if your PHP version supports it, you simply save the database file on your server, just like any other file.

However, to clarify, do you have PHP (or another server-side scripting language, ASP, etc.) available? HTML alone can not do anything like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    SQLite doesn't require any special configuration; if your PHP version supports it, you simply save the database file on your server, just like any other file.

However, to clarify, do you have PHP (or another server-side scripting language, ASP, etc.) available? HTML alone can not do anything like this.

Hi traq, thank you for replying.

No, firstly this is windows 2008 server with IIS. No apache, PHP, or Mysql. It's just a business run web server for our IS intranet.

Is there any kind of form I can use to enter data to store the records on my site? I tried access but completely forget how to use it. It's been a very long time since the last.

Thanks

The server is running .asp. Thats it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't know ASP, though a quick search turns up several tutorials that seem to indicate ASP can run a SQLite DB: here and here

As far as a "form that can enter records" on your site, forms only collect and submit information. They have no way of processing it. You must use an external script of some sort to process and save the information; HTML by itself is not capable of that.

Thanks

After some searching, I found this
    http://www.stardeveloper.com/article...0040101&page=1

I made no changes to any of the code, and added my existing html into each page.

I can add records manually into the table via MS access, and they do show up on my "showall.asp" page.

However, I cannot enter any records through my form.

I get this message:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Operation must use an updateable query.

/telco/form_ac.asp, line 166

This is line 166
    Code:
       ' Creating Connection Object and opening the database
       Set con = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
       con.Open data_source
      line 166 ---> con.Execute sql_insert
       ' Done. Close the connection
       con.Close
       Set con = Nothing
       Response.Write "All records were successfully entered into the database."