Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: New PHP coding website. Want to join in?

Thanks

Fixing the code is not a bad idea, but at the same time I'd recommend that you focus on finishing the site, except where improving the code first will help finish the site faster. Reworking the basics is probably fine, but if a certain section is functional as-is, there's no reason to change it immediately and you can be more productive getting the whole site up. That way you will be able to redesign on an active site-- you'll know what is needed, you'll have worked out all the layouts, etc.
    Of course if it won't take very long to rewrite it all, that's not going to hurt anything either. But don't be too distracted by the code that you don't finish the site

And regarding my participation, I'm still very busy with my current project (a language learning site), but in the process I've developed a number of classes and functions that may be useful. In fact, I recently completed a whole wiki (written from scratch) though attempting to extract that from the rest of my site would be a nightmare, but maybe still a good place to start...
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nile View Post
    fixed: "Nile has been working on the late for two hours while I sit there and talk about pixel pops."
    ...lol

Thanks

@traq\Nile: I take my pixel popping very seriously from a Web 2.0 graphic desgin standpoint, it is no "laughing out loud" matter /sarcasm. (No really I made a whole video tutorial on it)
    --
    Fixing the code is not a bad idea, but at the same time I'd recommend that you focus on finishing the site, except where improving the code first will help finish the site faster.
    I think I'm going to take this approach and finish this site before I make any huge layout or core coding changes. It works, no matter how sloppily on the back end. (Those breadcrumbs and pagination were a PAIN to do, I believe over 1/4 of the coding was just for that.) I don't want to have to redo that whole system, just to make fit snugly into classes. However I may add some jQuery here and there, but not ajax. The site is VERY dependent on mod_rewrite. Adding #hashtags would just be over-complicating things. Yes, I shall finish everything first, then add on to that. But I don't know how I would code in parallel, using the same database\file structure and whatnot. I have never actually fully done a parallel coding whereas major updates were transferred from server to server. I would assume keeping a synchronized testing server where all I would have to do is re-upload the new files. Would I have to block access using htaccess while I upload new files? How do I go about applying massive updates?
    -Ben -- THE DYNAMIC DRIVERS
    My Links: My DD Profile||My Youtube Video Tutorials||DD Helping Coders||DD Coders In Training
    I told my client to press F5, the client pressed F, then 5, *facepalm*

Thanks

That's a big question, something I need to figure out as well. I've launched my current site (semi-officially-- I'll announce it here once it's more or less 'complete'), and I'm still working out some details, on the live site. That's not too hard (disabling pages that aren't ready, etc), but once it is done and people are actively using it, creating the next version/improvements will be difficult.
    There are three approaches:
    1. Create a duplicate server-- hardest, but obviously most effective. The only big problem there is that the domain name (in all links) will not match so you will have trouble testing interaction between different URIs (including loading media like images).
    2. Actually generate two sites using the same site, based on sessions. Essentially you could make an admin version so that if you log in as admin then view the index you will see the new design. If you log in as a regular user (or are not logged in) you will see the old. Simple ifs, but lots of them, so I imagine this will get complex.
    3. Edit on the go and hope for the best. Perhaps test some pages locally then upload and hope nothing crashes. You'll end up having some downtime and live testing (users can't save a change or something) but this is certainly the easiest to set up.

I think I'll go with (2) and work on one part of the site at a time to keep things simple. Of course (1) is a good idea, but it's a major thing to setup.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you decide to go with two sites (a testing version and a live version) - which is a good approach - the best thing you can possibly do is separate out all the urls from the beginning. Use a global settings file to define specifics:define('SITE_URL','www.example.com');and use the defined constant in all of your scripts (use some thing like $link = '<a href="'.SITE_URL.'/page.php">'; instead of $link = '<a href="www.example.com/page.php">'; ). Do the same with everything possible: database credentials, email addresses, paths to resources, configurable options, anything that is used in more than one place and needs to remain consistent. You'll be grateful later.

Thanks

Ok, I think I will go with the separate server (just a subdomain on sharedphp). In the htaccess, I will re-route all requests (except for my IP) to another site with a notification of downtime; then I will re-upload the changed files, fully test them out in the new environment, then re-edit the htaccsess to allow all requests. Sound good? Anyways, I could prep the site for launch as it is pretty much done (as a beta). I will add the sign up and about pages, then I guess, it's ready for launch. Any suggestions\comments?
    My Links: My DD Profile||My Youtube Video Tutorials||DD Helping Coders||DD Coders In Training

Thanks

Fine, assuming the modifications don't take a lot of time and that it's reliable once you fix it.

Thanks

Default Beta!

Yep, I'm launching the beta version TONIGHT. I need some scripts to start with before I start advertising.
    You are all welcome to join here: http://www.sharedphp.com/join
    Click "Apply Now" and under qualities just post your dynamic drive username and I'll enable you account either today and tomorrow. Passwords are md5'd, so don't worry! Before you start contributing, I will give an explanation of the BB code later on.
    ----
    Major contributors (you guys) are listed here: http://www.sharedphp.com/about
    ----
    Please report all bugs or suggestions in this thread or on the beta page: http://www.sharedphp.com/beta
    ----
    Thanks!
    Ben

Thanks

Congrats on nearing completion. I need to add this to my long to-do list, but keep posting here with updates. I haven't organized the couple scripts I have, and I may have more later as well. Feel free to send me a PM since I do intend to participate, but may forget.

Thanks

I like the idea of this site, good luck with it