Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scheuer Toggle Sound Script II FireFox Problem

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 3,166 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Beverleyh,

Thanks. The mouseover/out duties I was talking about are, that when you hover the icon you should see text to the right of it:

Tap Music On

or, if it's playing:

Tap Music Off

and the image should change to (not animated):

Name:  active_img1_o.gif
Views: 124
Size:  280 Bytes

When you hover away, you should see the animated image if the sound is playing or a static speaker image:

Name:  music_off1s_o.gif
Views: 42
Size:  171 Bytes

if it is not and the text should vanish.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Those are working on iPhone, except the animated one.

on page-load, both static/muted icons show. No text alongside. (no sound playing)

Tap once and the un-animated sound icon shows. "Tap Music On" text shows alongside. (no sound playing)

Tap a second time and the same un-animated sound icons stays on screen. "Tap Music Off" text shows showing alongside. (the sound plays)

Tap a third time and the un-animated sound icon shows again. "Tap Music On" text shows alongside. (no sound playing)

Move focus with a tap on the other muted icon, or a tap on another link, and the un-animated sound icon returns to the static/muted state.

Hope that all makes sense and is as you expected.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not exactly what I expected. I think I do understand what you're saying though.

So you never see the animated music playing icon:

Name:  music_on1s_o.gif
Views: 50
Size:  738 Bytes

It's an animated GIF image - do those even work on your iPhone?

Anyways, once you are hearing the sound, if you drag your finger away from the icon and text, the text should vanish and you should see the animated icon. From what you're saying, you might have to tap somewhere else as well for that to happen. But the animated icon should show up at some point if the music is playing and focus is off of the icon and text.

Additionally, you shouldn't have to tap twice, once to see the text, again to act on it, but that's another issue. I remember something like that about iPhone from another script (a menu) I finished recently:

Smooth Navigational Menu (v2.0)

I had to use the touchstart event instead of the click event for one thing to get iPhone to be happy. That, or a variation on it might need to be used here. It's like a click (tap) on the iPhone is a more restrictive event than a touchstart one, which I imagine can be triggered by a dragging motion.

Once I've made a change along those lines I'll let you know.

For now let me know if you see the animated icon in this post and whether or not it's animated. And if you do and it is, on the test page see if there's any circumstance that can make it appear there, and what that might be.

Thanks.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi John

Yes, gifs pose no problem on iPhone and I can see the little animated one blinking away in your post above.
    So you never see the animated music playing icon:
    Unfortunately, no.
    Anyways, once you are hearing the sound, if you drag your finger away from the icon and text, the text should vanish and you should see the animated icon.
    I tippy-tap/move/swipe/pull/drag, all around, but the text doesnt hide and animated gif never shows. Only another direct tap on the icon causes the text to change (and of course the sound to stop)

Its still 'working' though which is really good.
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll be playing around with it a bit more later. I said 'focus', but what I'm using is 'hover' (:hover pseudo class). There is a :focus pseudo class, that might help. But I had good results in my menu with the touchstart as an event for iPhone, so I may try that first.

From what you say, initially you have to tap to even see the text, and that tap does nothing else, tap again to play, then again to stop, then again to play, etc., is that right?
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

From what you say, initially you have to tap to even see the text, and that tap does nothing else, tap again to play, then again to stop, then again to play, etc., is that right?
    Yes - this is exactly what happens.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's not so horrible then. Still I'd like it to be more responsive and/or get that playing icon into the mix at the appropriate time. If you get a chance, check it out on a non-touch PC or Mac. I don't want it to be exactly like that on touch screens, but closer to it. On non-touch, only the icon is responsive to clciks and the text is only seen when you are over the icon, you can never get over the text. For non touch I would like to see hovering over the icon and where the text would be to bring up the text and larger non-animated icon, and the first tap on icon or text play the music, when the icon and text lose focus, the text should disappear and the icon change to the playing or the off icon (whichever the sound is doing). But let me worry about that unless you have some thoughts on it. As you say, it does 'work'.
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No not horrible at at. Very nice in fact

Your described tap and image-swop logic already sounds like the ideal setup so the only suggestion I would make is just a cosmetic thing - to have the sound/speaker icon on top of an obvious, possibly 3D, button - so its inviting touch-screen users to press it. I think 'flat' icons can sometime blend in too well with everything else on a page and the effect seems to be amplified on a touch-screen. But I know that these are early days and the cosmetics are less important than getting the functionality exactly right. The actual icons can easily be changed by the person using the script, so no biggy.

I'll be back on PC in the morning so I'll have a good fiddle/compare then - you'll probably have tweaked it some more in that time.
    Last edited by Beverleyh; 04-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks

Hi John, thanks for that. Can I change the size of the images?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sure. You can even use other images. They should all be the same size (dimensions) as each other though.

Of the three I used the 'off' image has a fair amount of blank (white) space in it on its right top and bottom edges so that it's the same width and height as the animated 'on' and the static 'active' (hover) image. They're all 36 x 30. The script preloads them so that they're all ready when needed and sets the dimensions for all three, using the dimensions of the first one that (pre)loads. This is critical in the latest version because it uses them as background images, so their container must be the same dimensions as they are, and they must be all of the same dimensions. In the earlier versions the dimensions are still important so that the layout doesn't jump when one image is substituted for the other.
    - John