Thread: Htaccess

Thanks

Default Htaccess

How can I use htaccess to require a password to access a specific directory, that isn't user specific? I've never used htaccess before so if someone could send me a good link on it as well I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

This is the directory structure if that is needed for how I'd set this up...

/public_html/secure_directory
    Corrections to my coding/thoughts welcome.

Thanks

I think this answers your question:
    http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

from what i know u cant use htaccess to just set up a password without requiering a specific valid username... so either you do a normal htaccess with a htpasswd (which contains a list of user/pass combos) or you use another method then htaccess...

or what do you mean with "not user specific" ?!

Thanks

Can I do that without a user though? I don't want to have to assign multiple users. I just want to give a certain number of people the address and password and they can give it to anyone they want as well.
    Corrections to my coding/thoughts welcome.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

just make the username "anyone", or whatever. everyone doesn't have to have a different username. you can probably (I think so, but I'm not sure) even just leave the username blank.

Thanks

I think the username/password pair setup is common for browsers so omitting one may not be possible. I'm not sure though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum