Advanced Search

Thread: searching multiple fields

Thanks

Default searching multiple fields

I have a form with drop menu's where i'd like to search a table for 3 things.
    -employee

here is my code:
    Code:
    $query = "SELECT * FROM dar WHERE date='date' AND employee='$employee' AND location='$location'";
    It only works if you select a value for all 3 drop menu's.

My question: How can i make the SELECT query still work if the user does not select a value for all of the drop menu's on the form? IE: I only pick a date and hit submit...

Thanks for the help!

Cory

Thanks

You can't.
    You'll need to dynamically generate the conditions (everything after WHERE) based on what you have:
    PHP Code:
    $conditions = array('date','employee','location');

foreach(
    $conditions as $c) {
      if isset($
    $c) {

$condition[] = $c."='".$$c."'";
      }
    }
    $c = isset($c)?'WHERE '.implode(' AND ',$c):'';

$query 'blah blah blah'.$c.';'//becomes BLAH BLAH BLAH WHERE X=...........; 

That's messy, but I think it will work.
    It uses the kinda ugly $$ format which references a dynamically named variable (or variable variable):
    $a = 'b';
    $b = 1;
    echo $$a; //echos '1'

The best way to redesign all of this is to deal with the information already in an array then use implode like I did above. Simpler, but that should patch what you currently have.

By the way, I set it up to handle nothing sent so you don't ahve a where statement at all. You could also refuse the query if no value was sent.

Note also that I added a semicolon to end the query. While this isn't required for one-statement MySQL queries, it's a good idea for security reasons: it helps ensure that no one is injecting something malicious at the end of the query. (It's not foolproof, but it helps along with other things like escaping the data.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

i found a tutorial that explains 'prepared' statements really well.

It is a short and sweat way to create dynamic query's, thanks for the input!

http://forum.codecall.net/php-tutori...tatements.html