Thread: The stupidiest 'feature' of.... [a game of sorts]

Thanks

Default The stupidiest 'feature' of.... [a game of sorts]

The rules of the game:
    Post whatever "features" get in your way, "work" in unexpected ways or otherwise just seem misplaced...

--------
    I'll start with Firefox:

I'm guessing this isn't a random bug but actually something someone decided would be cool or helpful.

I just discovered by accident that if you click with the scroll wheel on a tab (anywhere, not just the X) it will close the tab.

I'm on a mac using FF 3.6 and a 'might mouse' or whatever these things are called. But I expect it works the same way on all systems.

The main thing that comes to mind is... why?
    Last edited by djr33; 05-14-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

che, nice discover I think that it is more helpful than useless...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Works in Windoze. But that's not half as stupid as the rotating desktop background image feature in Windoze 7. Scared the heck out of me, as it was enabled by default and I was just trying to get some basic configuration issues settled. "I didn't cause that, did I?" At best it's horribly distracting.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I'll admit that I'm biased because at the moment I'm stuck with this mouse that is nearly useless. It theoretically (in a single 'button') can right, left and scroll click. But of course the reality is that it only does what you want about 2/3 of the time. [and the mini scroll wheel only works to go up]
    I still don't know why apple doesn't just get over it and use several buttons.
    But regardless, it's awkward having it close when you assume it'll go to the tab instead. Luckily there's the "history>recently closed tabs" option.

(Note: I'm at a computer lab at my university. I haven't yet tested this at home.)

John, haha. That sounds odd. That sort of thing is big and obvious though-- what I don't get in this case is why there's some so subtle and yet obviously important enough to bother programming. Who actually was in support of this 'feature'? It's almost useless (since you can just click on the X anyway) and it's confusing if you don't expect it.

----
    Note: I've decided to change this thread to a general discussion. And here come the bug reports [except more like "feature" reports].
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would like the option to get rid of the X and only close the tabs with the wheel. I usually have many tabs open at once and often accidentally click on the X when I just want to go to a tab. On a side note (sorry, I'm just really excited), I just downloaded an application for my macbook that allows me to use three finger taps for a middleclick, so I can open a link in a new tab directly, or to use the feature you don't like It's called BetterTouchTool and allows you to do all sorts of stuff with the touchpad or magic mouse or you keyboard. I would definitely recommend it.

I guess that is a feature that stupidly enough doesn't come standard.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not sure this is a feature... but the scroll wheel on a mouse.

I hate when you scroll to the end of a page and 4 out of 10 times the scroll will not end at the exact scroll line number (default is 3 lines) and bounce back up a line or two.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLiZZaRD View Post
    Not sure this is a feature... but the scroll wheel on a mouse.

I hate when you scroll to the end of a page and 4 out of 10 times the scroll will not end at the exact scroll line number (default is 3 lines) and bounce back up a line or two.
    I think I saw that on FOX: "When Mice Attack!"
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate