Thread: CSS Encrypt

Thanks

Default CSS Encrypt

Hi, is it possible to encrypt my CSS file, like html Encryptor? or is there a way to stop the file being downloaded and used?

Thanks

Thanks

See my response to your other post for why encryption is a bad idea in general.

You can make it hard to read (for example, remove all line breaks), but I don't know of any way to actually "encrypt" it into something completely hidden.

You could do something very strange with it then use Javascript to reapply the styles (so you have a completely invalid set of css styles that then are used by javascript and applied-- but realize how bad this would be to write and how awkward it would be, not to mention that it requires Javascript to work at all).

This is now how the web is supposed to work.

And, I promise, your code is not special enough (especially CSS!) that it needs to be hidden. Everything on the web is meant to be shared. Decide if you want to upload it, but don't pretend that you can actually hide it.

Note also that for the second part of your question is it absolutely not possible to stop someone from downloading your CSS.
    Well-- it is-- just don't upload it in the first place.

The way that the web works is that a user's computer sends a request to a server. The server then sends the data (CSS, HTML, Javascript, Images...) directly to the user. Once you view something, it is ON YOUR COMPUTER. It is then not possible to stop the user from "downloading" any part while allowing them to "view" it.
    Even if you find a way to encrypt things, there are very easy ways around this, such as in firefox using right click > view selection source and you can see the ACTIVE source code, not the original encrypted version.

Anyone who's done web design for a while will tell you there's no point in this, but for most designers just starting it seems like a good idea. (But it's not.)

And again, why do you think you need to hide your CSS? Do you have top secret colors or margins? I can understand Javascript or even HTML, but CSS is the least creative language out there: it's just a lot of properties and numbers... what is the point in hiding it? I'm sure someone else has already used the same setup as on your site-- there aren't that many possibilities.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

chertsey, a small town 25 miles south west of london, england.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    ...why do you think you need to hide your CSS?..
    Congenital paranoia comes to mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    Do you have top secret colors or margins? I can understand Javascript or even HTML, but CSS is the least creative language out there: it's just a lot of properties and numbers... what is the point in hiding it? I'm sure someone else has already used the same setup as on your site-- there aren't that many possibilities.
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

It more for copyright issue's, I've designed something that I've not seen myself, ofcourse someone out there may be using it too.
    I've tried Google search's for simular design codes and nothing came up, well nothing that was the same or simular.

It's no secret, just trying to keep it unique

Once again thank you. Case Closed