Thread: "Print Friendly" question - tables cutting off in Firefox....

Thanks

Default "Print Friendly" question - tables cutting off in Firefox....

I have an HTML page that's quite lengthy with some very long tables within it. The page consists of two columns, each about 300px wide in print friendly mode and a wrapper <div> to hold the two. Each column has several tables in it. Some of the tables are getting cut off in the "printer friendly" view and the content is disappearing. A couple tables in particular, are so lengthy, they span the entire height of a page in "print-friendly" mode.

I've tried placing an "overflow:visible" property on the elements holding the tables, I've tried setting page breaks and setting all elements involved to "display:inline" but nothing seems to help.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance....

Thanks

This isn't particularly helpful, but if you just remove the tables then everything will print more nicely. Tables are treated similarly to images, so that the printer doesn't want to split them. If you use divs or other ways to do the layout, it'll print better.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the tables are more like charts. Rows and rows of numbers matching up with their row captions in the left column. It would be pretty difficult and tedious to do something like this with divs. Plus, the numbers would not line up evenly. Any other methods or suggestions you all can think of?

Thanks

I understand. That sounds like a good time to use tables. However, the printing problem still applies.
    One way to do this would be to generate a new table for every row, I think. It would be VERY messy, but it would allow for printing with breaks in the tables.

I'm not sure if there is a good solution for this. I hope someone else knows.

I've seen this on many professional sites, such as the online transcript for my university that prints out across 9 pages instead of the 3-4 it really should use.

You can specify a specific print stylesheet, but I don't know what you'd use in the CSS to fix this problem.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

Shammus (05-09-2010)

Thanks

Thanks again for taking a look for me. I think I pretty much got this where I need it to be. I just simply broke up the tables (split up the really long tables into 2 or 3 smaller ones) and reduced the amount of content that was in each of the wrapper <div> tags. I kept the page breaks in there so this really limited what was on each page, allowing it to fit.

After I did that, I noticed a second bug that only occurred in IE 7. Essentially the first page printed out find, but it choppped off all the content after that. And there was 18 pages so of content total. I resolved this though by removing the float:left property off the wrapper that held the two columns. Kept the columns floating though.

Kind of odd all the way around but it's resolved. Hopefully this post is of use to anyone else working on a similar project right now.