Thread: MySql free host suggestions?

Thanks

Default MySql free host suggestions?

Hello everyone,
    I am currently producing a website that will require a very large MySql database. I recently moved hosts to support this new bandwidth prediction. This new host supports double bandwidth and triple disk space then my previous host, however this new host now has a limit to how much a MySql database can hold, 50 MB, Where as the previous was unlimited. So I am basically trying to find a website that supports as much MySql data with the same bandwith. Any suggestions OTHER then freesql.org, (which keeps timing out).
    -Ben -- THE DYNAMIC DRIVERS
    My Links: My DD Profile||My Youtube Video Tutorials||DD Helping Coders||DD Coders In Training
    I told my client to press F5, the client pressed F, then 5, *facepalm*

Thanks
    Blog Entries

{CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

That's a really broad question. How much are you willing to pay?
    Godaddy is annoying but they're database limits didn't ever bother me. (They limit each hosting account to something like 5-10 databases, but I don't believe there is a space limit on them-- check first, though).
    Mediatemple (current host) is nice but expensive, though I now have a virtual dedicated server, so that's to be expected.

One way to make sure of this is to get a dedicated server or something similar where you host the mysql from the same place as the files-- then the bandwidth will be equal.

Oops: I just read "free". I wouldn't go with a free host. You can get something for $5 if needed. That shouldn't be too much unless this is just for personal use and if so then why go over 50MB?
    Sorry I don't have a better suggestion.

You might just look around at various free hosts that allow "unlimited space" because some actually do-- there's just always another catch. Usually it's that they only allow some very limited file types, etc. But if you're just using the mysql.... that might work.

Something to watch out for on ALL free hosts is that the majority of them require that you aren't using it just as "file storage". They actually want your website to be there. The same may apply for a database, but I don't know. Maybe read the TOS and see if it mentions anything.
    Last edited by djr33; 04-29-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    That's a really broad question. How much are you willing to pay?

free host suggestions
    I am guessing not very much LOL
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BLiZZaRD For This Useful Post:

djr33 (04-29-2010)

Thanks

Yes, I hadn't noticed the post title... oops. Edited above, though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Well I am currently building a free tracking software where someone can embed a 1x1 transparent pixel image on ant forum post, website, signature, email, etc.... and It logs the IP address, User Agent, Referrer, and time into a database. This will take an amazing amount of space if say a page was visited 500 times or something. Unfortunately I have not developed a method to delete individual entries as they are stored in one value. (Maybe there is an easier way?).... But anyways, I would assume that if this becomes viral, I could easily go over 50MB...

BEFORE-POST-EDIT: I Just signed up for three other free web hosts with impressive bandwidth and data storage. I found it surprising that they all used "vista panel" as their cpanel, with Identical looking stats. It turns out that that site you gave me was all run by one company and yes, they ALL had 50MB MySql limits.... Ugh
    -Ben -- THE DYNAMIC DRIVERS
    My Links: My DD Profile||My Youtube Video Tutorials||DD Helping Coders||DD Coders In Training
    I told my client to press F5, the client pressed F, then 5, *facepalm*

Thanks
    Blog Entries

a word on "unlimited" hosting plans: they aren't. If you look into their terms, it just means that there's no "particular" limit. Most users will never use so many resources that they'd notice; however, if you use to much (storage, traffic, databases, processing, whatever), they'll require you to upgrade your plan.

Thanks

And many "unlimited" plans truly ARE unlimited in some aspects, but then something else is [severely?] limited.
    For example some hosts may allow unlimited bandwidth but only files under 100kb.

There's never a truly unlimited host without some catch like that, and even when there is one that has no specific limits, then what traq said above applies: they usually have a "fair use" statement that if you are taking up too many resources they'll remove your account so that others can "fairly" use the "unlimited" resources.