Thread: Smooth Navigational Menu (v1.4) Bug

Thanks

Exclamation Smooth Navigational Menu (v1.4) Bug

1) Script Title: Smooth Navigational Menu (v1.4)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: For some reason, whenever you try to use a script extension of .cgi the stylesheet formatting falls apart in the submenus for the list item that has the .cgi link.

I have tested this by uploading the exact same menu file three different times, only altering the extension on the file.

cgi-bin/la/register.html : Works great without problems
    cgi-bin/la/register.pl : Works great without problems
    cgi-bin/la/register.cgi : CSS falls apart on drop down menus

I have left a sample of the bug for you to view at the link below. You will see that it only effects the list item where the .cgi link is located. All other dropdowns in the menu remain unaffected.

http://www.cooscurryclassifieds.com/testbanners/

It would take too much time to convert every reference of a .cgi URI in the perl scripts to be able to convert everything so I only link to .pl links instead. Weirdest bug I've seen in a long time, and I don't have a clue why it would have this behavior on only one file type extension in a list item link.

Hope you know a workaround for this, as I really love the way the menu operates.

Thanks

That's very unusual and I don't have an answer for you (but I hope/think someone will).

Since this is such an unusual issue, it will help to explain exactly the conditions in which this occurs-- what browser/operating system are you using?
    Also, if you have not tried this already, see if there is any chance that setting up a new page with just the menu and using .cgi can work (to eliminate the chance that something else is wrong with the page).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Hi Daniel,

Upon further investigation, this problem gets even stranger.
    It only occurs on my Windows XP Pro box using Firefox 3.6.3 (most current version). The menu works correctly on my Windows Vista box. It also works correctly in IE on the Windows XP box, although there are the usual bugs with IE putting in padding where it does not belong. In IE there are transparent horizontal padding spaces that make it look like the list items have borders. In the CSS for the menu I have it only render right and left black borders on the submenus, and an in-line style on each ending list item to render the bottom border.

I have created a page at the link below that has screenshots from my Firefox on the XP box so you can see exactly what I see.

DD Smooth Navigation Menu Bug
    http://www.cooscurryclassifieds.com/ddmenu/

Also, you can see the same menu being discussed at a test folder I have below.

DD Smooth Navigation Menu Example
    http://www.cooscurryclassifieds.com/testbanners/

I really hope this can be worked out, as I just love all the other aspects of this menu.

Thanks for any help you can give me in either a bug fix or workaround... after a week trying to get this to work cross-browser, I really would hate to have to give up in surrender and use a menu system with less pizazz.

Thanks

The border issue is just something in CSS, so that should not be part of the problem.
    In fact, I wonder if this could be a bug with the newest version of firefox-- separating a certain file extension is a very specific thing that I can't understand as a result of Javascript that isn't designed to do that.
    I've seen your page on a Mac and (though I'm not positive I looked in the right place) I didn't see any errors. So this is just with XP/FF 3.6.3.
    Maybe see if 3.6.3 has any bug reports for this?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum