Thread: Windows 7: and update you shoud know about KB971033

Canada, mainly in front of the computer cursing at this random Jargon @#$%!!!!!
    Thanks

Default Windows 7: and update you shoud know about KB971033

I think it was February 24, 2010 a new update was published for windows 7
    #(KB971033) windows activation technology,
    the update is designed to prevent people from form using fake copies
    HOWEVER, if you install this in your computer this allow Microsoft to look at your windows system every 90 days an they can deem your windows system fake at anytime, this can happen if you restore your computer or install a copy of your program because there was a problem.
    Also if you have your computer repaired it is possible to get a cloned copy put on your compute, which they can decide is fake.
    So even if you paid for a copy and you did something that is legal they can try and force you to pay for another copy. They do this by making an anooying message pop up every 10 minutes telling you to buy a new one

I know a there are a lot of people who still leave their updates on and some who just don't know what the updates are all about, i dont see this on mentioned a lot so I thought I might let people know about it

I find it somewhat unfair and sort of an invasion of privacy however if you install it you are technically allowing

So if you dont want microsoft being allow to look at your computer then turn off your auto updates if you havent already (which is a good idea none the less) and uninstall this #(KB971033) windows activation technology
    and you don't care then hey, at least you know about it

Thanks
    Blog Entries

They look at more than the registry to determine the real or fake license of your installation of Windows. When the OS is installed it gathers information about the motherboard, CPU, hard drives etc and each has its own unique code that is stored in this small file.

This measure ensures that the OS you installed stays with the components you installed it with. If you replace one (and depending on the components sometimes 2 or 3) of the components and the rest match then there is no problem.

If you have to reinstall, and you use the same license there is no problem because the new file will still match what is stored.

In the rare instances where they determine the install is not genuine, the pop up gives further information. There is a phone number that you call, explain what happened to your computer and if the reasons are legit, they will reactivate. If you bought the install (i.e. took it to a computer store and had a new install put in) and get the warning, then you will have a receipt, a company name and other information they will ask for and again, will be deemed legitimate and reactivated.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

yeah I know but its so annoying

My friend had such a hard time when he had a computer re-done
    He paid for a windows 7 to be replaced and then he still got the pop ups
    it took 2 weeks before the issue was resolved and the first week they told him to buy another copy becasue the one he got was illegal even thoguh there wasnt anythign wrong with it

Thanks

Default Windows update

humm.. that's interesting. What happens if you remove the update?

Ola
    Last edited by djr33; 04-29-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: wait for a signature until you have at least 5 posts, and also be careful about what looks like self promotion

Thanks

Then they can't check it without you installing it again
    if you want to keep it uninstalled turn off auto update and pick the option of let me choose which updates to download and install