Thread: are there any trick to name a file

Thanks

Default are there any trick to name a file

do the SEO thing look at our file name format?

such as:
    1. computer-stuff.php
    2. computerStuff.php
    3. computer stuff.php

which one of that example is the best way to name a file?

or

are there some kind of trick to name a file that work good for SEO?

thx...

David Demetrius // davejob

Thanks

I have no idea for SEO and those specific questions. However, in general it's best to keep is short and keep it simple.
    Never use spaces for files on websites because they will translate as %20 ("x y" becomes "x%20y" in the url).
    Mixing capitals and lowercase can get confusing for users-- keep names lowercase.
    Hyphens are ok, but not the best option. Better to just skip it.

I'd recommend "computerstuff.php".

If that is too long, then get a better name for your file such as "computer.php" or "stuff.php", etc.

Using mod_rewrite (in apache) it is possible to create "simpler" URLs for your site if this really matters to you.

Also, it's even better to have directories and not pages (don't have computerstuff.php, but instead use /computerstuff/). This might help SEO.

Overall it won't be a huge factor on SEO as long as everyone is linked smoothly.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

In general, it's always a good idea to avoid any non-alpha*-numeric characters. a-z and 0-9. If you have to use others it's possible, but best to avoid it. Mostly just because this looks messy.

(*And lowercase is better if possible-- uppercase names are hard to remember and confusing as well as generate ambiguity in some cases.)
    Last edited by djr33; 04-28-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added a note...
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have never heard of SEO not liking a file name. And in a sense that seems a bit.. dumb. (meaning if they did).

As djr says its for you and your users.

That would be like SEO not ranking http://tips-scripts.com because it has a hyphen in it. (great site btw). The major factor for rankings is 1) good coding. 2) good content. 3) other sites linking TO yours. 4) proper linking within your own site, from page to page, and no dead links, internal or external.

What the name of the file is doesn't matter, as long as the file it points to actually exists.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result