Advanced Search

Thread: Linux has done it again

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Linux has done it again

I just thought I would share a great little tool called Universal USB Installer.

This little program was brought to you by Pen Drive Linux.

This awesome app will let you install a liveCD of various Linux distributions onto a thumb drive. It is very very easy:

1. Download the UUI from Pen Drive Linux (instructions on this page as well - with screen shots)

2. Download your favorite Distro of Linux (or one you want to try out). May I recommend Linux Mint (under 700mb for the complete Live CD download)

3. Run the UUI, selecting your Distro, location of the thumb drive, and let it take care of the install.

4. When it is done you will have a complete install of Linux, on a thumb drive, ready to go.

I am currently downloading a distro right now, and will be trying out the UUI on a really crappy computer. After it is all done I will test out the install and report my findings here.

Enjoy.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Just updating, I downloaded Linux Mint 8 Live CD. the 678MB download took this POS computer 43 minutes.

Once it was complete I ran the UUI, and in less than 7 minutes I have a complete install of Linux Mint on a 2GB thumbdrive, ready to go.

It was super simple, easy to follow instructions.

One sticking point for new Linux users, the option for a persistent file. What the hell is that?

Answer:

Casper-RW Creator script that will enable a user to quickly and easily create a casper-rw persistent image for storing saved changes and then restoring those changes on subsequent boots.
    Basically it means the allotted space that you can save files, programs, work, etc on the thumbdrive to be used by the Linux Install. I used a 2GB thumbdrive, with a 1GB persistent file size. Half of my thumb is available for saving settings, word documents, programs etc that I can then reuse each time I boot from the drive.

If you have ever wanted to try Linux, but get confused with the install or LiveCD usage, give the UUI a try, it makes everything easier!
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result