Thread: IE 8 scrolling issue

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default IE 8 scrolling issue

Can anyone figure out why this page won't scroll in IE8?

There's nothing more I can figure. I haven't yet tested in other IE versions.

thanks, guys

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not sure why. However, in IE 9 it's fine. In IE 8 if you use it's developer tools and delete the height property (100%) from either the body or the html elements (presumably making them height: auto, which I believe is their default), the scrollbar comes back and is usable. However, with the body it makes the background of the header disappear, with the html it makes what appears to be the gradient background for the rest of the page less dramatic. There has to be another way to get both of these effects without involving height 100% for either the body or the html elements. But if I had to choose, I'd lose some drama on the gradient - make the html height auto, keep height 100% for the body.

This can be done for IE 8 only via conditional styles. If you want to and need help with that, let me know.

In IE 7, it looks like even with both 100%, there's no background for the header, so in that browser I would lose the 100% on the body and keep it on the html. That also can be arranged with conditional styles.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

the header background is a :before psuedoelement, so I never expected it to show in IE7.

I didn't even think about the html height. that from Ryan Fiat's sticky footer, which has always worked in IE8 before. Maybe there's some combination of rules here that's causing the problem...

thanks for your help, John. I'll go with making the body height auto for IE8, and do some more testing to figure out a better solution.