Thread: DDLevelsMenu - layering issue - display behind Flash animation in FireFox

Thanks

Default DDLevelsMenu - layering issue - display behind Flash animation in FireFox

1) Script Title: DD Levels Menus

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm

3) Describe problem:
    I've been trying to implement a multi-level menu system on this development site:

http://www.westernaspect.co.uk/popou...x_testmule.htm

Page is working fine in IE - when the menus are open the Flash movie pauses.

But in Firefox the menus are opening beneath the movie pane (which keeps playing) and are obscured by it.

Any thoughts about how to ensure that the menus always display above page content such as my Flash animation - so that all browsers will exhibit the same behaviour as I'm currently getting in IE?

(I've also tried some of the other Dynamic Drive multi-level menu scripts, but they all seem to produce the same issue).

It's probably down to my shonky mark-up!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by westernaspect; 03-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

In Firefox here the menu drops over the Flash, but the Flash doesn't pause. I'm really unclear why it should pause in IE, as there appears to be no script access to the Flash and no way for it to know that something has dropped over it. In Opera, I do see the menus dropping behind the Flash, and no pause there either.

Here's what I would try, for your embed tag add wmode="transparent" and close your param and embed tags ( />). This will probably not do anything with the pause, but should get the Flash behind the menu in those browsers where it is currently on top of it:

Code:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="400" height="242">
    						<param name="movie" value="animation_02_400px.swf" />
    						<param name="quality" value="high" />
    						<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
    						<embed wmode="transparent" name="animation_02_400px" src="animation_02_400px.swf" width="400" height="242" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    						</object>
    It might not hurt to add a param:

Code:
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    as sometimes the drop downs do go behind the Flash in IE.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 03-05-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: noticed problem in IE sometimes
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

icywindow (03-05-2010),westernaspect (03-05-2010)

Thanks

You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

Thank you, that appears to have fixed it (I've updated the dev page on the link).

I don't know why IE was pausing the Flash either - it wasn't a requirement, just an observation.

Thanks

That's something that has been bugging me for a while, the flash thing. Thank you. Good to know that the transparent thing makes it work. I was trying z-index for a while, to no avail.