Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is GoDaddy hosting ok?

Thanks

Default Is GoDaddy hosting ok?

I just set up paid hosting through godaddy.com and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake as I'm reading bad stories, SO FAR I have had no issues fast site, good FTP. But I don't know for sure any advice?

Tim

Thanks

It's good unless you have problems, then it can be unreliable. Once I upgraded my account (that is-- I gave them more money), and they thanked me by deleting all of my files from the server while switching it. A while later (around a week?), after many hours on the phone, they finally got it back from a backup of my files. That wasn't fun.
    They're good for domain names (cheap, reliable).
    I find them annoying, so if you can deal with the site and it's gimmicky nature, then you're probably fine.
    I used them for a few years and on the whole it was very smooth. It's decent service, but if you run into problems your only real option (aside from online services like chat support or email, which kinda works, but I don't really like) is to call their help center and get someone who knows a lot less about web design than you do. Ask to talk to a manager, and you'll be alright, though you'll have to wait a while.

I can't say that using godaddy was pleasant always, but the result of using them was reliable hosting (once the behind the scenes issues were sorted out from time to time).

On the other hand, their prices for hosting aren't too bad, but there are sites with better pricing and probably better service.
    Last edited by djr33; 12-26-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

james438 (01-21-2010),twQ (12-25-2009)

Thanks

Well, I went with them because in the beginning they offered a discount on domains for the first year if you bought hosting I'm glad to hear it went fairly smooth, I can deal with a couple issues I just needed to make sure I didn't get myself deep in it. Thanks for the story and advice I'll stick with them unless I have major issues.

Tim

Thanks

Also, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Thanks

I use Go-Daddy for both of my websites. So far they've been pretty good and I haven't had any issues installing certain services, like PHPBB3, everyone I talked to said it wouldnt work with a windows hosting package, but its been up and running for over a month so far without any issues. I like their pricing structure, pretty cheap and you get a pretty good amount of bandwidth, databases, free applications, blogs, etc.

Thanks

i use network solutions! they are quite good... Great service... what ever you do, don't use gisol...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

From my somewhat limited experience in helping folks with GoDaddy, it's OK to good and has ways, if you read their docs, of dealing with stuff that might come up. If the support is also as adequate as others say in here, I'd say, "Not a bad choice." But I think there are probably better deals out there.

However, no low cost host is going to be even near perfect if what you really want are the full services of a regular priced host. Once you move into that area, I think you can and should be more demanding, as the quality really varies.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Any suggestions on good priced well featured hosting? Anybody? Any ways thank you for the advice John. By the way I checked out your Comcast site, interesting stuff.

EDIT: I included Network Solutions in my suggestions, thanks Ian.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fassist View Post
    John. By the way I checked out your Comcast site, interesting stuff.
    Thanks. Actually though, it's pretty disorganized and mostly out of date from a coding perspective. I'm thinking of trashing a large portion of it and organizing what remains a bit more. It's so disorganized in fact, that I doubt you were able to access any of the javascript demos. These are linked to throughout the forums, but I have no index for them on or linked to my home page.

The space is just your average free space like many ISP's give their customers, no server side stuff or apps of any kind.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Well, the site made up for it's coding and organization problems with good content haha. Anyways I found it interesting. I've never paid much attention, do you have another site? Or is that it?

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed the post counter isn't going up?