Thread: Smooth Menus and IE 8 Issue

Thanks

Default Smooth Menus and IE 8 Issue

1) Script Title: Smooth Navigational Menu (v1.31)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: Verticle Navigation not showing sub links unless moused over.

I am currently running this script here http://www.gowindholz.net/servlet/th...ets/Categories but when I mouse over the Folder 2 tab it does not show the catergories that have sub categories unless I hover over them then it corrects itsself. I noticed the page where I down loaded the script works fine but it does not work out the same on my site. I figure it is something in the CSS file. Any suggestions?

It works fine on firefox and iphone apps just not with IE 8.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Works here on the DD demo page in IE 8. I see the problem in IE 8 on your page. Your page is being rendered in quirks mode. Chances are that if you used a DOCTYPE like:

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    As the very first thing on the page followed immediately by the opening HTML tag (no comments), it would work in IE 8 for you too. But the page also has non-standard code, so that might also be a factor. However, if I force your page into IE 8 standards mode, that problem goes away, so the non-standard code probably isn't a factor in this.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Default Worked like a charm!

I add that line of code to the document and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all your help! I was at it for hours trying to make it work.

Thanks

Default Page Centered now

I did notice after making the change everything on the page is centered. Any way for it to straighten its self back out?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's hard to be certain, what with how quirky the code is, so there may be other factors. However, here (in your on page styles):

Code:
    <STYLE type=text/css>
    <!--
    html {
    overflow-y:scroll;
    }
    body {
    margin:0px;
    text-align:center;
    background-color:#ffffff;
    font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }
    a:link, a:visited {
    text-decoration:none;
    color:#000000;
    } . .
    If you get rid of that (highlighted), it will certainly fix things in some if not all browsers.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Default Will try it

I will try that, thanks again I am just stoked the menu is working. now comes the fun part of building the menu links.