Thread: free hosting service taking bits of my files away???

Thanks

Default free hosting service taking bits of my files away???

so i thought id like to make one of those browser games people play where u build something and it takes 3 days, and users attack each other and such...

i needed something with accounts so i thought id take some php open source forum software, reverse engineer it, and turn it into a game (easier said than done)

so i got one called chipmunk forums, decided to upload it to make sure it worked, but when i did, i noticed that every file that i uploaded became smaller! look:
    http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4...tfilesizes.png

now maybe i can possibly imagine my less than reputable free hosting service adding something to all my files, but what in the hell did they take away?!?!

Thanks

You should look at the source of both files, and compare them.

That seems very strange...

What free host is it?

// X96 \\
    Alex Blackie, X96 Design
    My Website
    I specialize in: HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux Server Administration

Thanks

000space.com, i think they restrict emails too! im trying to send form data via email to myself and its not working! i guess there is no free lunch

Thanks

hmmmm... ive been reading up on how to do this sort of thing and its a much bigger project than i expected. what i need is a very very very well commented piece of php. i need to read through every file and understand everything, and then i can add some files to it but only when i understand everything can i do it. i heard vBulleten and phpBB are reputable open source forums. does anyone have a suggestion? i need the one that is the easiest to reverse - engineer (and i use the term easy lightly)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the files look OK, perhaps all they took away was empty space.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I don't think vBulletin is free.. Is it?

phpBB is a very, very good board system, It's my first choice when I need a forum system.

Another alright alternative is SMF (Simple Machines Forum). I've used it, and it's an okay board system...

// X96 \\
    Alex Blackie, X96 Design
    My Website
    I specialize in: HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux Server Administration

Thanks

smf and phpBB, can they be understood enough to use the same account system and expand upon it to turn it into a browser game? how are they explained?