Thread: How to create a text next to favicon & how to create a movable favicon?

Thanks

Arrow How to create a text next to favicon & how to create a movable favicon?

I have create a 16×16 pixel favicon (favorites icon) for my site: articles-list.com in order to brand and increase it's prominence in visitor's bookmark menu.

However, I found that some favicon from other website is more creative & interesting:
    1) The address bar contains a text next to the favicon.
    example:favicon abcd.com
    2) a movable favicon icon

How to create a text next to the favicon?
    How to create a movable favicon?

Thanks

Can you post a screen capture of an example? I'm not sure what you mean.

1) The only text I have ever seen next to a fav icon is from a security notice that you are on a secure site. To get this, you just need to go through all of the setup for a secure site, like using https, getting a security certificate, etc. I'm not sure if the text is customizable or if that is a default by browser.

2) I have never seen a "movable" favicon. Where do you move it? Why? Or do you mean a "moving" picture? It may be possible to use an animated gif (or similar format) and convert it to a moving icon, but I don't know how.

I don't know much about either of these, though. You may be able to find something on google, but I'd first try to refine your search terms a bit, because those aren't very clear yet.

"favicon text" / "favicon text caption" and "animated favicon" would be good places to start.

One answer I can give you, if this is at all related to your question, is that you can dynamically change a favicon with Javascript. I'm not sure how it is done, but it can be triggered by the javascript on a page because that's how it works when one flashes when there is a new message, etc. An example of this is meebo.com where the favicon changes colors when a new message is sent. Again, I don't know what the code is, but it must be possible: google "change favicon javascript" and see where that leads.
    However, it won't be entirely reliable because some browsers (for example, especially internet explorer) can take a very long time to reset the favicon (up to 72 hours in some cases). It should enhance the experience for many users, though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum