View Poll Results: What is your favorite font?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Serif - Times family

1 11.11%
  • Serif - Palatino family

0 0%
  • Serif - Garamond family

0 0%
  • Serif - Other

2 22.22%
  • Sans-Serif - Arial family

2 22.22%
  • Sans-Serif - Verdana family

1 11.11%
  • Sans-Serif - Tahoma/Trebuchet family

1 11.11%
  • Sans-Serif - Other

0 0%
  • Script - Comic Sans family

0 0%
  • Other

2 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite fonts

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Post Favorite fonts

Vote for your favorite for use in long blocks of text. If one of the "other" options, please state your "other" in a post.
    Mine is Serif - Other. As in, Calluna.
    Technically, fonts count as software, so this is in the correct forum.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Georgia
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks

I tend to like Arial for web design (titles, etc), especially since it is on all systems.
    I always use times for school work (and hate it when people use other fonts... times is the easiest to read).
    I also tend to use courier a lot, probably because of scripting (both programming and screenplays, ironically).
    I also like any font that has a good extended character set for other languages, etc. It's annoying to be limited to just a few options for other character sets.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Arial is not on all systems. The best you can do in that regard is:

Code:
    font-family: arial, sans-serif;
    As to most readable, I would vote for monospace. There really are only three fonts:

• serif
    • sans-serif
    • monospace

All fonts are variations on these. Courier New is monospace, as is Comic Sans MS. It's pretty easy in most cases to tell them all apart. If a font is monospace its characters all, including the space character, take up the same number of pixels width. If a font doesn't exhibit that characteristic, it is either serif or sans-serif. Serif fonts have little doohickeys on all the letters, which contrary to what djr33 says, can at least at times make them harder to read than sans-serif which tend to have straight unadorned lines comprising their characters. The reasons I and many others consider monospace the most legible are that I believe dyslexics find it easier to read. It's what I and most folks use for coding. It is the overwhelming default for textarea elements. There are probably other reasons. If you want to know what's a character and what's a space and how many spaces, if any, monospace is the way to go:

High ' 'There"" - arial, sans-serif

High ' 'There"" - times new roman, serif

High ' 'There"" - courier new, monospace

The above are all identical except for their intended fonts.

I really have no preference though, it depends upon the kind of information and how it looks to me, which is deceptive - each system may render even the same font slightly differently.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 11-30-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: add bit about my preference at the end
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Well, it depends on the medium you're talking about. If you're using photoshop to make an image, there are hundreds of specific fonts, or if you are using a program to generate a pdf. If you are stuck with the web standards, yes, you will have to assume someone out there has only a few fonts or even (in theory) just one font, like on a mobile phone, so they will be seeing everything the same (even serif/sans serif/monospace).

Monospace really is a pain to read if it is used for significant passages of text (like a 5 page essay for class). I understand the idea about dyslexics, though I'd like to read a bit more about that before committing to using it for just that reason. Monospace is fine (and easy to design with) except that it ends up looking awkward if it is the font for lots of text (anything over one paragraph, more or less).

What systems is Arial not on? It's on mac OS, it's on windows... perhaps not linux? Of course it won't be on literally every system, but if it's on the three major operating systems I'd happy enough. And realistically if it isn't on linux I don't care that much. Anyone who chooses to use linux is choosing to have a custom experience of the web-- so they can install extra fonts if they want, they can run only one font for the whole system, and they can make their windows bright green-- but this is all because linux is in its very nature not a default. If a font is not AVAILABLE for linux, that's an entirely different issue, but just because people choose to modify their computers to not have certain things doesn't mean I'll care about them while designing (assuming it isn't a major concern, which fonts aren't-- at worse they'll be viewing another (hopefully similar) font, and that's close enough).

As for serif vs sans serif, serifs are designed to make the eye read the lines-- this is very helpful (especially for anyone used to the font-- in the habit of using it) to read line by line. If someone is to be ready word by word (again, I mention an essay for school), then I see no reason to use another font.
    However, for example on this board the posts are all in sans serif and that is fine with me because frequently they are not to be read word for word by rather generally skimmed.

For linear skimming word by word, serifs help a lot. For general quick accessibility of the text (in random scanning) and a slightly (holistic) cleaner look, sans serif is better. The question then is whether people will be reading the block of text word by word or just scanning it in general to get an idea of what is going on.
    By the way, in this sense, monospace fonts are awful, because the extra information is left out of how wide letters are, so scanning becomes very difficult-- something like trying to find a certain shade of grey in a greyscale image instead of looking for a specific color in a full color image.
    Last edited by djr33; 11-30-2009 at 06:35 AM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I am definately a Sans-Serif - Tahoma/Trebuchet family guy when it comes to Website developement by default.

I shy away from the Times New Roman type fonts in general.

Thanks

I like any 'fixed' font (i think that would be monospace right?)
    They look much cleaner
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks

Myriad is my favorite font and I do also use it with my logo designing projects related to text...

Thanks

Lucida Grande, Arial, and Helvetica are my favourites. I go through phases, though - I used to use Trebuchet for everything...

// X96 \\
    Alex Blackie, X96 Design
    My Website
    I specialize in: HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux Server Administration

Thanks

Arial all the way.